Octomore Edition 06.3 / 258

P/141332 15/106 07 04 15
05 Oct 2016 10:30 am by Jukka Sammalvuo
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Octomore Edition 06.3 / 258

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.52 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

Crackling

Octormore just launched its Diagolos series – 5 year old malts with number 09.1 to 09.3, soon to be followed by a 10 year old 09.4 – but I am somewhat behind on schedule and still have some 06, 07 and 08 releases to try. Let’s get to it, starting with this 06.3 Islay Barley, Lorgba Field, Octormore Farm, which I got as a gift from my Canadian friend Robert.

The nose is farmy, but suprisingly sweet at the same time with loads of butter, hay, barley sugar, young apples and vanilla. Despite the 64% I can put my nose in the glass unpunished. The smoke is actually not too big, despite the 258ppm. After a few moments, I get some ashes and something that reminds me of goat’s cheese. Pipe tobacco? Grapefruit? Lovely nose, indeed!

I do feel the ABV on the palate, but not so much that I would reach for a glass of water, mind you. The alcohol is nicely integrated and turns this Octomore into a sweet and creamy party. Mildly spicy on pepper and liquorice, some pancake batter with honey. Reminds me of a crackling apple on a stick above a bonfire. And then some cherries too. Sticky, sweet and delicious.

The finish is simply marvellous. Smoky sweet, on spices with smoked ham around a fresh fig and some lightly salted chocolate. Oh, my! And very, very long.

I’ve maybe had some ten Octomore so far, but this one definitely goes on top of that list. Thank you, Robert!