- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Feis Ile 2009
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- ex Sherry
- Number of bottles
- 58.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 30 May 2009 1:48 pm
19 × in wishlist
67 × member ratings
121 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Caol Ila 1996
12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.42 points
- Tasted at the 2nd Whiskybase Gathering in Rotterdam, November 2017.
- http://www.weinkenner.de/2015/islay-blind-tasting-ii-sherry-abfuellungen-35335/ Color: full gold
Nose: Very one-dimensional, alcoholic salt-lemon solution with smoke and peat. No bad smell, but unfortunately not much else!
Taste: Salty lemon with full peat content, lots of smoke and good matching vanilla. Juicy grapefruit and sliced lime, balanced and slightly bitter herbs, pepper and spicy chili.
Finish: Long - peppery with harmonious sharpness, lime, vanilla, leather and peaty malting notes, which combine beautifully with the honey sweet notes.
89 points (nose: 88 / taste: 90 / finish: 89)
- This was Nr 2 (of 6) for me in the Islay blind tasting. Seems that Caol Ila is for a good reason one of my favorites :)
- blind tasting - 89P
- Who says the location of the maturation doesn't matter? These FI casks
are amongst very few that are matured at the distillery and they are
just stunning. Also, if CI was matured in sherry wood more often it
would develop a real cult following (no that's not a spelling mistake).
Chocolate and cream, then a blast of pure Atlantic ozone with a big
plate of seafood and the shells drying in the sun. There's a bit of
lemon zest too.
Big coalsmoke on the palate. Really sooty with heavily sugared lemons and a dusting of cocoa.
Relentless, intense waves of salt and spice crashing on the palate.
- "A very rare bottling of Caol Ila, originally produced for sale at the
distillery during Feis Ile, the Islay festival of Malt and Music, in
2009. Bottled from a single sherry cask at cask strength after about 13
years in wood."