Glenfiddich IPA Experiment

700 ml 750 ml
05 Sep 2016 6:19 pm by holborndrinker
ColoredChillfiltered

Whisky Reviews for Glenfiddich IPA Experiment

97 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 80.59 points

1. Calmar scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

A young and somewhat slender whisky, very well-tailored, drinkable, does not impress with the pressure and power, but has to itself the ease and integrity.
      Open, wet, fresh wood, damp wood dust, lemonade notes, slightly alcoholic, herbal mixture, herbal tablets, dusty bookshelves, lemon slice in tea, strong vanilla caramel shades, a little mineral - dry plaster, stone crumb.
    • Taste
      Oily, calm, a lot of oak, lemon peel, sweet lemonade-grain notes, vanilla, citrus lollipops, herbal motifs.
      Light, lemon-oak, sweet-sour, lemonade-grain notes, a little ginger, vanilla in large quantities.

2. Stef89 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Junior

First of all: I can absolutely understand the bad reviews here!

It's not really whisky. Totally different and kind of strange.

But now to my perception as someone who knows something about the beer style "IPA" every now and then as well as has a great affinity for beer and its raw materials such as hops.

And under these circumstances I have to say: Awesome!

If you break away from the usual expectations, the part has incredibly delicious, fruity hop aromas and beer hints that it is a real joy.

Even if the basic material is probably not particularly complex, there is a lot to discover through the finish.

And the 43% are nice and strong without being sharp.

85 tendency to 86/100

I like it pretty much when it can be something "different", extraordinary.

For me the surprise of the year. Probably also because I approached it with zero (!) Expectations.

3. BeatF scored this whisky 82 points Moderator

To my shame, I tasted an IPA for the first time a few weeks ago> the whisky with such barrels ennobled tastes me a lot better than the - for my taste a bit nuts - beer itself ... The experiment does not seem to me to have failed!
      Does not smell too strong, but very pleasant. Lychee, malt, a non-repulsive sweetness, rounded off with orange, also a bit like a fir-tree
    • Taste
      a little young (the alcohol stings very softly), but very interesting, vanilla, fruits (especially still the lychees), everything like a punch
      fruity, slight bitterness of orange kernels, backed by a subtle hint of vanilla

4. Glensiddich scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

Really enjoyed the clean, crisp notes in this having not expected a great deal. Lovely dram when you aren't looking to be challenged.

5. Gilles_V scored this whisky 85 points Expert Junior

A very nice, interesting whisky.
    Aging in IPA beer barrels is a great idea.
    Despite only 43%, it's surprising, the whisky remains full and not sour.
    A great discovery.
      Very interesting and original nose.
      The IPA effect is clearly felt.
      Hops, “sparkling” sensation. Wet cardboard.
      Then, in the background, sweet malt.
      Jolie texture.
      Rather long. Banana. Alternation between bitter and sweet.

6. karloff scored this whisky 87 points Specialist

Really liked this.  I have a Grant's  Ale cask finish which I always have on the go and really like.
      For a start I drink IPA all the time at my local and this smells like an IPA which is a good sign. Hoppy and citrus, apricot and peach. There is something else but I can't quite put my finger on it , banana sweet I think. Nice nose, it's not strong but pleasant enough.
    • Taste
      Very nice as well. Quite refreshing. I think this would make a great chaser to a pint of IPA. Again with the citrus notes. Also a little bit woody and drying but it's subtle. A nice bit of tang to it.
      The finish is medium with pear drop sweets and orange.

7. horstpedia scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

I think the experiment was very successful. I am quite surprised that the hops, unlike the beer is gentler and long stays on the tongue. The sweetness always plays a part in the background. Reminds me of grapefruit remotely.
      Hops and sweetness make you want more.
    • Taste
      The bitterness of the hop and the existing sweetness harmonize very well. After a short time the hops dominate. I like it.
      Medium. The hops stay very pleasant on the tongue.

8. lincolnimp scored this whisky 66 points Connoisseur

This is not very good it has a weird off note like cereals that have gone past their best and the palate is drying but as it says on the bottle it is an IPA Experiment so something different I suppose.

There is a side to his that for some reason reminds me of Famous Grouse.Drinkable but not my thing and I do not like the nose.

9. wisekycourse scored this whisky 79 points Connoisseur

On the nose, spices, varied fresh fruits and "hops"!
    On the palate, it stings immediately, a little rough, fruit in the vein apple pear, spices quite sweet, a little dry on the tongue, we do not smell the beer, but a tannic side.
    In the final, it's short !!
    A finish flirting with the IPA beers that have made their happiness, here it does not bring much more!

10. Saftkenner scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

A nice experiment for which, like with Project XX, I would have liked a higher drinking strength. In my opinion, much more successful than the Fire & Cane.
      First a typical Glenfiddich nose that comes across as very fresh.
      Pear, honey, herbal sweets, dry grass, melon, orange, vanilla.
    • Taste
      Sweet and sour nicely balanced. White pepper, lemon, pear, light tannins, sour apple, cereals.
      Hops in the finish, some lemon and honey. Rather short finish.