Kilchoman 2007

Bottled for
Malts of Scotland Warehouse-Shop
03 Sep 2016 4:27 pm by cadillac

Whisky Reviews for Kilchoman 2007

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.39 points

1. mothers_finest scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

-Blindverkostung-
    Nose: smoke, lemon, slightly bitter, salt, a bit of gum, mint, essential oils. 21P.
    Palate: Much smoke and again a touch of gum, yeast, but also a decent spice and also a pleasant woodiness and caramel. Less citrus in the mouth than in the nose, which I like a lot. When chewing a pleasant saltiness is on. This has something of a walk by the sea, which licks the lips with salt. From the alcohol (even if smokers are difficult to assess) I would go to almost 50%. Fairly strong and the taste is pure. 23P.
    Finish: Pleasantly woody, smoky with a touch of caramel. He reminds me a bit of my self-matured 'Craighouse' which I matured in a 6L ex-Oloroso. The powerful version of the Peat Beast was used here. The finish is reasonably long without burning. I do not have metallic youth, so I appreciate the malt older than 10 years. 22P.
    Balance: Good malt, well balanced, coherent thing in cask strength with estimated 10-12 years age. 22P.
    Conclusion: a good smoker! Could be a law - if I think of the Peats Beast (who is probably a law).
    Otherwise, probably more of an Islay from a first fill bourbon? The caramel he has anyway and also the citrus fruits speak for ex-bourbon. But like I said, First Fill ...
    Overall scarce 88 points - Cheers!

2. Archer scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Shall I say I bite a broom if it is not from Islay? I'm not saying it, but I definitely type on Islay. Distillerie I find hard. Blind I have often confused Laphroaig and Ardbeg. If it is not Caol Ila in the end, then it is one of the two aforementioned distilleries. He reminded me a bit of a Laphroaig 10 CS, although I do not remember it that dry. I'm guessing a bourbon barrel size, cask strength, ages 10 to 12 (despite the dominant oak). Anyhow very delicious and exactly my thing.
    (Blind tasting)
      Strong smoke, phenolic and salty. Moist tar. A very strong bouquet, which may bring one to the coast. Seaweed and algae, the smoke of a chugging diesel engine, brackish water. The alcohol tickles something in the nose; this is not a light sailor. Removes lemon, which flashes only briefly to disappear immediately afterwards. The character of the nose changes with time. The algae recede into the background, leaving room for a fine fruity note, but mixed with machine oil and the exhaust gases from the diesel engine.
    • Taste
      Hui, who has power, about 53-55%, I would appreciate, if not more. Dry onset with lots of peat smoke, salt & pepper. It stays dry, dry oak chips tumble over the tongue. Herbe herbs come on and promote the (pleasant) dry mouthfeel. Dark chocolate can still be found, otherwise there is still a lot of ashes of a campfire.
      Medium-long and dry, a lot of oak and towards the end fine-herb.

3. Bosi scored this whisky 88 points Specialist

A grenade from a whisky. Massive smoke combined with salt and sweetness. A good example is that heavy smokers do not need too much maturation.
      Wow, what a flood of smoke in the nose. Cold ashtray meets smoked ham. There are also lemon, vanilla and nutmeg. But the smoke is the one dominant element.
    • Taste
      In the taste of the smoke loses a bit of ash and goes more towards a cold campfire. Now, however, a nice mix of salt and sweet is developing. Salted caramel meets pepper and orange chocolate.
      The finish is very long and warm. The smoke and some salt remain.