- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Cask
- Stated Age
- 21 years old
- Oloroso Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 49.8 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- Added on
- 31 Aug 2016 6:50 pm by rdavek
8 × in wishlist
19 × member ratings
26 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Springbank 21-year-old
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.12 points
- A subtle cask in comparison to the multi-national Springbank 21 year single cask which had a sulphur component to it (added character and uniqueness IMHO). This cask hit on on the right notes and is a more contemplative dram than the previous mentioned cask. Very enjoyable.
- Bags of character from this. Not sure what TheMacallan was drinking. That sour slightly sulphur my Springbank character is typically earthy, savoury and quite meaty. Lots of mushrooms and nicely peated. The olorosso cask balances this nicely with a soft berry sweetness. Plums and figs in the mix. Although I generally prefer bourbon cask with its tropicals to balance this works very well. Water is needed to bring out some of the lovely nuances and small herbs, spices, dark sea salt chocolate etc. Despite the mega hype for Springbank in the US, and understandably so given their integrity towards the distillation process is like to see a better malt for the prices being charged. Having said that modern sherry casks are really quite woeful. Just taste any modern Macallan for evidence!
- wow! It is one of the best Springbank that I have tasted.
- Springbank tasting castle Dornoch 21/11/2017
N: lovely sherry notes and orange zest
P: firm, sherry, fruity and sweet
F: light, drying, slightly briny
C: Allright but there's a lack of character, the nose is very promissing.