- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Salty sweet peat smoke
- Stated Age
- 20 years old
- Refill Bourbon Barrel
- Number of bottles
- 57.6 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 14 Aug 2016 4:18 pm by Whiskyflasken
4 × in wishlist
24 × member ratings
35 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Laphroaig 1995 SMWS 29.181
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.67 points
- Issue Price April 2017: £ 125.00
- salty peat, dust, wet granite, bogy, a mild sea breeze, salty bacon, oak, white pepper, some citrus and ginger. The ABV is hefty but all right. some drops of water are taming it down a bit. finish is long and the peat is lingering around quite long and nicely. Really nice and dignified Laphroaig!
- Lovely peated malt all the way through.A bit of Water opens it up and reveals a lot of fruityness.It lacks some layers of complexity to go through the 90 points mark.
- N: Lime string-vegetal sweet with a lovely malty savoury sponge and dusty-chalky among many other things.
T: Vegetal bitter countered by sweet candy.
F: Toasted smoky vegetal - theres nothing unexpected here. Bitter=sour vegetal vanilla ice-cream - interesting.
C: It's vibrant, varied and mature with a youthful outlook. Best of the day. Blog.
Scores a B
- SMWS Tasting Notes
Flavour Profile: Peated
On the nose neat we discovered a fascinating mixture of salty and briny aromas making this a very maritime experience. Barbequed langoustines, scallops with seaweed butter and sweet pickled herring were well balanced with the rich malty aroma of a dark wheat beer. The taste neat was intense, intense sweet and intense peat - black treacle and tar, roasted sweet potatoes with honey and cinnamon while in the finish, the smoky and malty character of a classic Rauchbier. Diluted it felt like dousing a peat fire with sea water and on the palate the perfect balance between salt, sweetness and smoke.
Drinking tip: Any excuse will do