25 × in wishlist
100 × member ratings
241 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for BenRiach 21-year-old Tawny Port Finish
13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.00 points
- In the nose somehow a lot younger than he is. A sour, fresh nose. In the mouth then not very voluminous. Again sour notes. In addition a sharpness, which acts alcoholic.
Nope. It's not for me and I do not need it again.
- Had higher expectations.
Faint whispering sherry
Orange marmalade ginger
- waxy typical Benriach character, light bourbon sweetness, candlewax, salty wine. Ok to drink but I’ve always been disappointed in port cask finished whiskies because it never works, get Kavalan instead
- Dark fruits, sultanas, some nuts, dried apricots, some herbs, fine oak, alcohol nicley integrated. Very well balanced dram.
- I waited a little longer due to old age ..
Very fruity, in raspberries and cranberries, wonderful in aroma
A very strong beginning, a lot of stiffness, aromatic, yet 46% feel a lot .. To me too much, but still playing the first fruit taste, goes straight to the oak.
Long and not as warm as I expected, a lot of oak, the end is a lot of port and the bourbon is pretty good .. Very good for the end.
- An enjoyable one, but the price doesn't feel right to me.
The distillate seems to be on the retreat here. Caskwood and wine without any of the sweetness of sherry. Rosé pepper in a Fanta gone flat. Roast beef. The remains of yesterday's dinner on the table maybe?
Could be mistaken for an unusually dry oloroso but then again there are these bitter notes of peculiar quality that don't really sit with the profile of that sherry. The body is enjoyably smooth at bottling strength, but with its persistent wine and occasional bits of candied liquorice I wouldn't probably call it Benriach in a blind tasting. In fact I'm not sure what I would call it at all.
The finish is too quick. A single malt of this age should be able to do better, but perhaps there is a reason it is finished.