86.17/100
Scotland Grindlay Ltd. (ScG)
Grindlay's Selection - Single Cask Release
1996
Strength
20 Jul 2016 7:42 pm by holborndrinker

Whisky Reviews for Dailuaine 1996 ScG

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.17 points

1. dram_on scored this whisky 83 points Expert Junior

Color: 0.3Legs: thicker and falls slower as expected given the higher abv, expecting a thin-medium mouthfeelNose: a bit too ripe white orchid fruit basket, some waxiness, honey is faint, some earthiness, some hayPalate: farmyard hay, past expiration honey, dryness to infinity, lots and lots of dirt, rotten white grapes Finish: another short one, super earthy dirt bomb, honey is still there, some faint tea-like notesBalance: the earthiness screamed at me, it almost seemed like there was some peat in there tooComment: the store that sold me this bottle (plus five more) had pushed this one to me as a Clynelish-esque whisky, and as Speysides are my thing and the price on this one wasn’t too bad, I took the bait. This bottle was indeed somewhat Clynelish-y to me, and I could’ve sworn it’s more Highland-y than a Speyside given the notes I got, which worked against the whisky to me. I don’t like surprises like this in my whisky although there’s a lot of character in this one. I eventually added one point to this one, but that's it.

Updated comment: after 1 month of oxidization, light fruit notes appear, upgraded score from 82 to an 83

2. Daan Tje scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur