4 × in wishlist
39 × member ratings
35 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Isle of Jura 1993 CA
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.35 points
- Another take on a Jura that is in many ways unlike to official bottlings. Not an easy malt, but can deliver very expressive and beautiful flavors when the time is right (which, contrary to other malts just needing some time and air, remains a bit of a mystery here). Varies significantly from time to time, but 89 p. was the best when I had it once. On other occasions I'd have it at about 87 p.
- This is certainly NOT the best Jura I ever tasted.
It is a difficult malt that needs much attention, quite leafy and earthy with a touch of vinegar.
The double wood maturation adds something interesting, but when I expect it to do something on the palate it just doesn't.
Somewhat dissapointing. The current "one for you" sold at the distillery is easily superior. But then again, tastes differ.
- Klaus Pinkernell told me that he personally acquired this barrel in 1993 and then matured for 8 years in a Bourbon barrel (at Bruichladdich!). Then, with Jim McEwin, it was decided that the keg would not do much and it was (by handpump) transferred to an ex-sherry keg where the Jura ripened for another 14 years before being bottled. Tastes great.
- An absolutely ingenious malt of Jura, what the finest for a long time! Elegant, subtle and beautifully maritime! A firecracker!
Salt, caramel, leather, oak, old almost fermented and slightly sour fruit compote, melon, a trace "green stuff"; mineral, calcareous and wet stones on the beach;
Soft yet pleasantly spicy, meringue wood, seaweed, driftwood with a little bit of salt, again this greens, old leather; and then still a nice subtle fruit note!
Maritime, leathery, dry; medium-long;
- A real mudflap, for me one of the best Jura
intense caramel, leather, sugar melons and slightly spoiled fruit
oily, herbs, lemon balm tea and a huge amount of dirt and mold like a rotten tree trunk with stick sponges
very long and maritime
- one day of the best Juras I tasted so far. wonderful wood and spices.