91.00/100
jp Japan
21 jun 2016 9:05 am by Vassago Clynelish

€ 20973.61

Whisky Reviews for Saburomaru 1960

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.00 points

1. Kawauso scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

I have not been able to evaluate it yet as I have only taken 10ml. It's difficult.
    I gave it an 90pt here, but if I drank it again, I might give it a 80pt or 95pt. Different people would rate it very differently.

Nose: Damp old wood, used leather, meadows, coriander (is this whisky?)
    Taste: very complex and discreetly sweet, herbal liqueur, oak, brown sugar, figs (is this really whisky?)
    Finish: short and light.

It is the most aged of the Japanese whiskies and you can feel its history.

2. 7731miles scored this whisky 95 points Member Senior

It’s unique and different, but probably not everyone’s favourite. I tried this at the Saburomaru distillery for ¥9000/10ml and the experience was worth every penny, but would I buy a bottle at the original retail price of ¥550,000? Purely based on its taste, no.

Nose: old damp wood, somewhat similar to 90’s Blanton, soy-sauce, raspberry, bonito. This has the strongest aroma I’ve ever experienced from whisky. Interestingly, the aromas are so Japanesezzy, it makes me wonder what gave this whisky its unique character.

Taste: bonito stock, wood, soy sauce, cacao beans, roasted bitter tea. What surprised me the most was its smoothness. 55 years in oak casks has made this liquid so mild, so quaffable, yet full of so much flavour. The only problem for me was that the flavours itself were not particularly to my liking.

Finish: bitter cacao beans and tea leaves dominate. The finish was rather short. It has the subtle notes you’d expect from the nose and taste, but very subtle indeed.

3. Vassago Clynelish did not rate this whisky Administrator

Tasting Notes by Shinya Uchida Color: Maple SyrupAroma:Brown Cane Sugar,White Chocolate,VinegarFlavor: Sweetness and Richness ofLong-period mature Rum,Complex taste of old brandy

Finish:Butter Cookie, Tartcarefully kept in mouthfor long time

Whiskybase was founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.