69.25/100
Blend
John E. McPherson & Sons Ltd. (JEMS)
Black Ceramic Jug
1980s
Strength
19 Jun 2016 2:23 pm by Smittie

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Cluny 12-year-old

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 69.25 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Funny you have a score at 87 and a really low score of 12 which I think is pretty strange so I am hoping this is more towards 87, but it could have had a low fill level and be compromised for a score of 12 I suppose.
    I have had quite a few 12 year Cluny and liked all of them but stoneware is always a risk.
    The cork fell apart so had to decant this.
    What you notice first is the colour it is pretty dark and it also has fat sticky legs & tears in the glass so I am hoping this is fat on the palate.
    Well well well, I have tasted single malts over £1000 that cannot get close to this, what a belter and what a bargain.
    The best Cluny 12 year I have tasted, I love full fat stciky blends like this so my score reflects that.
    Malt head, & peat heads probably not nut there us plenty of sherry on show here if you like that sort of thing.
    Luckily this was almost full, had 2 drams out of it and it was still at the neck of a 70cl Laddie bottle so hardly any evaporation.
      Smells like a cross between a star bar & a crunchie bar which are my favourites so it is a good start :)
      There is plenty of coffee, caramel, stroop waffles and a little oil notes along with very faint creosote, which I like.
    • Taste
      Well it is syrupy, there is a healthy dollop of peat, lots of toffee and fudge at first and also some nice pepper & ginger spice notes.
      The fruit is basically of the stewed apricot, mango and plum combo.
      Excellent mouthfeel, excellent taste and as you go on the peat & spice grow,
      Long, quite refined, warming & sweet, no roughness whatsoever.

2. macwhisky scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

A nice old blend with OBF, good old sherry cask influence and super integrated grain that gives the whiskey more body without being superficial.

The jug was weighed empty by me to get indications of the level - 761 grams