Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

82.50/100
88170 + 88171
Strength
11 May 2016 9:26 am by whioli

Whisky Reviews for Glen Grant 1995 SV

6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.50 points

1. Sapiano scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

My first blind tasting: MiracleDram (bo) # 9 from dRambo
    After pouring quite fruity in the nose: Green apple. I remember the 10 year old Glengoyne. The unknown has a light color, is quite clear and is restless in the glass, but makes nice legs. Over time, the nose becomes more citrusy. Maybe a Clynelish? But where is the wax? I'll let him rest again. Grape seeds come to it. I'll take a sip. Immediately the barrel is noticeable. Pepper, but not spicy. The mouthfeel is neither oily nor creamy. A Clynlelish is not it? The finish is rather medium with a slight bitterness. In the second nose and in the second sip I have hazelnuts with me. My taste buds have become accustomed to the spicy peppery wood. The second finish leaves espresso and hints of very little smoke. I give myself again and add 3 drops of water. Water makes him much fresher and more citrusy. He is still very restless in the glass and still forms beautiful legs. Fruit and acid also increase significantly in the nose. The dry grape seeds are still there. The spinning glass whirls up the hazelnuts. There is something metallic about everything that does not bring me to a young age, but rather reminds me of Tobermory or Mortlach. The third finish leaves much more sweetness and creaminess. Amazingly, this sweetie does not last for the fourth sip. Then he seems rather watery. I pick up the last cl. I will taste it after the dissolution.
    Conclusion: I'm guessing a malt from an older Refill Sherry Hogshead because of the slight bitterness and the woody onset at first sip. Fruity sherry notes had not left the barrel. The alcohol does not burn a bit, so I think the malt was allowed to mature in the barrel for some time and was bottled with a maximum of 43%. I think of something auspicious by SV with just under 20 years. The distillery, I guess very difficult and therefore my tip is my last mentioned distillery: Mortlach. I forgive 84P.

2. schero did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Serge Valentin@whiskyfun.com

3. dRambo scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Nose: no smoke! contrary to other opinions, I can not find any smoke, a little vanilla, a little banana, strong light wood notes, a slight pleasant note of glue without the influence of corn

Taste: wow wood, strong tingling on the tongue that does not come from the alcohol (43%), tart aromatic oak notes, many herbaceous notes, subtle sweetness, dry finish, supple in the mouth, well integrated alcohol, the barrel is so present that for Alcohol could hold, with the second sip more wood, a brief bitter flash, but this disappears immediately and is replaced by sweet oak. Now with the 3rd and 4th sip citrus notes are noticeable

4. Othorion scored this whisky 79 points Expert Senior

Caramel, crushed bananas, vanilla, very soft orange
    • Taste
      watery mouthfeel, buttery dough, malt, vanilla, quite a bit away the banana from the nose, something mealy
      medium, spicy, slightly peppery, in the end a bit bitter coffee

5. hansreitzema scored this whisky 80 points Member Senior

July 2, 2016 Aroma
    Peat (you smell really soggy ground), tumtummetje / banana meringue Taste
    Some full and greasy mouthfeel. Banana, caramel, butter. Finish
    Mid-length Particularities

6. WhiskyWings scored this whisky 74 points Member Junior

On the nose I immediately notice the peat. It's not smoky, just peaty. You smell a sweet green apple note and something floral.

The body is medium and not thin.

The taste is immediately sweet peat and green apple. Not much else for me.

Finish- medium length, more of the same. No bitterness.

Overall this was a waste of money for me. I was not expecting the peat to dominate throughout the experience and I didn't get much complexity either.

You get what you pay for. I wish I could taste previous versions to compare. If you don't mind PEAT, this is for you. I wasn't expecting that in a Glen Grant. Reminds me of a watered down Laphroaig.