VAT 69 Blended Scotch Whisky

73.77/100
Blend
Wm. Sanderson & Son Ltd. (WM.S)
Strength
16 Apr 2016 11:24 am by D. T.

Whisky Reviews for VAT 69 Blended Scotch Whisky

6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 73.77 points

1. McBRI scored this whisky 67 points Member Senior

2. peatbogger scored this whisky 80 points Specialist

80, and that's a "blend mark".
    This one baffled me, I'm not sure what to think.
    This was a sample from karloff who's managed to lure me on to bourbon and rye. Not sure about aftershave though, but for the price I might get me a dual purpose bottle.
      First of fresh and fruity. Very light and "yellow".
      Then I get something I have a hard time describing, not found it in any whisky before.
      Is it cardboard soaked in Tabac aftershave?
      Because it's definitely masculine, with that "au de toilet" note. Not bad in any way.
      I spent the summer of 1979 at a school in Hastings where my classmates guzzled down free sample bottles of Faberge Brut from the gas station across the street. 40 years on, is this my moment of regret for not trying it?
    • Taste
      Oh yeah, to me that aftershave note is the first to arrive, and as I focus on it, it just grows.
      I find it even more "soapy" on the pallate than on the nose, but strangely enough it's not unpleasant, just a bit weird.
      No lenght to speak about, but some of the fruit emerge, it's sweet and a little smoky.

3. karloff scored this whisky 86 points Specialist

This is a great blend. One of my favourites and I will always have a bottle of this on an optic in my whisky room.
      A nice light fruit nose of honeydew melon, golden delicious apple, white grape. Also some floral notes and even soap.
    • Taste
      Really light and smooth texture. For me the grain is very much in the background. Really nice fruit notes and a little smokiness mix well
      The finish just leaves a nice light apple crumble with custard .

4. jankes scored this whisky 74 points Expert Senior

5. lincolnimp scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

I think this is really good value for what it is, sure it will not rock your world but you are certainly not get ripped off on the price.

6. lincolnimp scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

I have had some of the older bottles from years ago but never a new one.

I like it but would struggle to drink more than half a bottle :)

Good value this one.
      Smells honeyed and fruity and then a blast of vanilla.

Smells really fresh.
    • Taste
      Reminds me of the later White Horse bottlings, very simple profile and the grain is at the front of the palate and is the dominant part of the blend here.

Lemon, barley sugar, some honey, vanilla and a little apple
      Longer than I was expecting with a pleasant sweetness.