Nikka Whisky from the Barrel

02F38B
12 Apr 2016 1:22 pm by Vassago Clynelish

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Nikka Whisky from the Barrel

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.25 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

Eggnog
    It has been almost four years since I last tasted a Nikka from the Barrel – which I found very good at the time – but that was bottled at 51,4% ABV. Today I try one from a bottle with a special label (Cask Room), bottled at 51%. The malt whisky is produced at both Yoichi and Myagikyo, while I presume that the grain whisky comes from their coffey stills at the first.
    The nose is surprisingly soft on flowers, apricots, eggnog and banana with a hint of citrus and a leaf of mint. Wonderful!
    It is mouth coating a soft, but with quite a prickle. Vanilla, caramel and a mix of peppers – it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. The fruit is less outspoken, though. A hint of coconut milk emerges. Reminds me a bit of a bourbon. Towards the end I get a light bitterness as if from tea. But truth be told: it promised a lot more on the nose.
    The finish can easily be called long with some woodsmoke and spices.
    I must say that I much preferred the other Nikka that I tasted in 2012.