89.70/100
Bonner Pfeifen- & Cigarrenhaus (BPCh)
2001
2015
Oloroso Sherry Butt & Bordeaux Cask
Strength
L60416
11 Apr 2016 5:16 pm by Dramned!

Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 2001 BPCh

24 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.70 points

1. Dramned! scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

If there was a tongue orgasm - here I had one! Such pearls do not often come in contact with one another and the certainty that this whisky is nowhere else to be found will never make it into a little gem in my whisky cupboard and every sip of a true experience is wonderful - like a Tibetan one Sand Mandala - can philosophize about the finitude and transience of all things. Ommmmm
      But the color is already magnificent: a deep reddish-brown woody copper nestles boldly against the glass wall In the nose a nice sourish woody-oily spice with strong oak notes and a hint of smoke, you immediately feel the fruity sweetness of the sherry and the bitter dryness of Bordeaux, dark raisins, old leather, pickled cherries, Demerara sugar, Bourbon vanilla , Creamy caramel, ripe fruit, a hint of banana I perceive. With a little water it becomes fruity, ripe peaches are added.
    • Taste
      I succumb to the temptation and try it first in full strength and am surprised at his leniency! First, the sweet-sour juice of sun-ripened oranges and ripe mangoes over the tongue and leads immediately to a salivary, to a greasy Ledrigkeit, oily spiciness, the typical salty sea flavors, licorice, a bag of fresh open spicy-sweet pipe tobacco, deep dark oak tones, the dark red Almost the tropical fruitiness of Oloroso and wonderfully tart fruit notes of Bordeaux combine to create a true culinary delight.
      Diluted with water to drinking strength then adds a strong warming sweetness and dark chocolate, which last long and in conjunction with the fruit, the austere barrel tones and some smoke for a long intoxicating aftertaste.

2. Xaver did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

For me a hammer whisky! : Love:
      Colour:
      red-brown

Nose:
      Where do I start…?
      A sweet, ripe, dark berry flavor comes first. Then pickled, dark cherries. Has something of cherry chocolate liqueur with marzipan. Plum and leather follow suit. A fine, fresh smoky note runs through the glass and mixes with the aromas. Just reminds me of Em-Eukal Bonbon. The colleague also has something Christmas with cinnamon and gingerbread spice. An amazing nose ...
    • Taste
      Really fat, oily onset. Cool! In addition this flag smoke and sweet berries. Cinnamon plum and oriental orange tea. A somewhat salty undertone is included. In addition a sweetish wood flavor. Also in terms of taste, I have Christmas memories. Warm chestnuts and a little pepper. The 58 percent really hold back very much. I do not take water here. He fits me as well. Vanilla, chocolate and sour cherries and warm caramel are added to the second sip.
      Long and very oily. Sweet wood and pepper. Slight dryness and again the berries. In addition, this delicate smoky note that I really enjoy. I mean to taste some filter coffee in the end.

3. didi1893 scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

This nose is amazing. Intense orange aromas dominate the nose, sweet fruits and honey, chocolate and dried berries and grapes. All these flavors give the nose an incredible intensity and Krafft. The Bunnahabhain also convinces all along the line, never before had I had such an extreme salivation during a taste tasting. A great Bunna with a fancy finish, I like it very much!
      Dark and clear amber shimmers out of the glass. While oily and viscous drops slowly flow back into the glass on the glass wall, dark and intense berries and grapes flow out of the glass next to me. The first nosing mixes intense orange flavors with wet leather. Dried raisins and dates play with the now fruity oranges, peach and apricot are added. Milk chocolate and a touch of sweet honey. These wonderful flavors stimulate your salivation massively, I want to finally drink the Bunna! One last strong pull ... again these sweet and fruity oranges with a drop of honey.
    • Taste
      At the first sip sweet berries light up before intense and spicy oak beats unrestrained on the tongue. Bitter and subtly sharp wood notes dominate the taste afterwards. Amazingly, these flavors again massively stimulate salivation. The second sip is then wet leather and tobacco flavors to advantage, a pinch of pepper spreads in the mouth, the high alcohol content now heats the mouth violently. A few drops of added water relax the situation and make the bunnahabain creamier. Slowly rise fruity oranges and dark chocolate from the spicy wood.
      There is still a subtle sharpness and dry wood elements on the tongue. Tart and subtle bitter wood aromas exude a strong aroma, again a touch of leather and orange peel. For a long time, the harsh and dry tones of the wood recede, spice rises from the wood, and I imagine myself perceiving something lovage.

4. rottendon scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

5. rottendon scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Phew, not easy to rate, but in the 90s I see him in no case. The nose is great, no question, if the perfumed slips were not, I would call them immaculate. The alcohol is well integrated, but it works even better. Nevertheless, no complaints here. The taste of it looks significantly older than 14 years for me, but the taste does not quite fit in the nose and is far from being so complex. The departure again disappointed; too short and too unspectacular. Water kills him in my view, it was exactly three drops to about half a cl: too much. Fruity and sweeter fits more to the nose, but here is simply neither real nor consistent. I went to this malt with very high expectations, but unfortunately I see it rather disappointed, although of course it is still a very good whisky, but not a miracle bunna.
      Immediately Sherry, fat, fat, buttery. After a while, slightly sour, dark berries, blackcurrant juice and red grape juice are added. Approaches of red wine. Even more service life makes the whole thing more diverse. A touch of salty sweat settles on dark cappuccino with cassia syrup and chocolate sauce. Some marzipan in black tea. From time to time, however, come approaches of floral perfume, I rather less like, because they seem almost penetrating. As I said, approaches. Incidentally, the alcohol is very well integrated, not the slightest tickling in the nose. When heated, butter and fruit notes become stronger, plum jam and butter ... Germknödel? Without vanilla sauce though. Very salivary, the nose. Fully warmed, it reminds a bit of cognac, leather, the alcohol now has slight peaks in the nose. With a few drops of water it has a touch of freshness and floral.
    • Taste
      Unexpected vigorously alcoholic, but without burning, it occurs, tart notes dominate initially, slightly salty oak juice, barely sweet, but dense and full in the mouth. Even at the second sip initially little sweetness, this develops until very late to the finish as coffee sweetened with only a little fir honey. He is sweeter with water, but now he looks very set, almost perfumed.
      The finish is a little menthol, which carries the oak and later the sweet but relatively quickly with it. A nutshell like chestnuts with a bit of nutmeg lingers a little longer. With water significantly more menthol and less sweetness, even shorter.

6. ARDBERG scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Quite a fantastic Bunna with an interesting finish, though the wine tail is a bit too heavy and not so well integrated, but that's complaining on a very high level.

7. Sapiano scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

It's my 2nd tasting. My first one was already a long time ago, but apparently we did not become friends right away, because he was a bit too peppery despite adding water at the time. I still dare today without water.

He pokes his nose, but if you get used to it, you will be rewarded with heavy sweetness and freshly sawn wood. I let him breathe a bit, because the woody smell takes over and makes it difficult for me to recognize the sweet fruits.

There are raisins, but also red grapes, which make the whole thing a bit fresher in the nose. The wood is still very present. I have been thinking for some time about whether I smell honey, but now I would simply describe the sweetness as sugar or candy.

Slightly bitter start. Somehow a pity. However, it is followed by juice oranges. Maybe a few carnations. Where are the grapes? The tip of the tongue burns from the alcohol, but the pepper at that time is not there. I'm still holding out and continue to taste the sweet orange.

The finish is initially even fruity. Only later does something bitter and woody come back and then stays on the cheeks for a very long time while the tip of the tongue still burns and then produces raisins, which are distributed throughout the mouth.

After the first sip, the heaviness in the nose increases significantly and displaces the fresh wood odor. My nose now completely fades out the alcohol.

The second sip is oily in the mouth. In the finish, dark chocolate is added. Less bitter than before.

I'll add a few drops of water. The fruits are lighter in the nose. I think of mirabelle plums and feel like someone has swapped the glass.

The last sip. Diluted he is even sweeter in the mouth. Not so oily anymore, but rather creamy. In the taste again have a few oranges, but also wine gums. I should have just added some water. It makes it more complex and I might have tasted more than just orange and wine gums. The smoky succession filling with the WID: 86519 I like much better.

8. FernetBranco scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

• Taste

[August, 2016]  I emptied a small bottle that I bought for 35 Euro in June, 2016.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 85.  This was recommended to me by a trusted friend but unfortunately this Bunnahabhain style is not very much to my liking (too "dirty" for me)...

10. ColdAesthetics scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Difficult, is just 100% cask only, the fall leaves I have at Bunna sometimes, also over the extreme red wine is often. The finish destroys a top rating unfortunately right, otherwise, of course, a great experiment.
      Sorry, but who says here lies in no alcohol in the nose. Otherwise beautiful deep berries pulped to wine, moist autumn leaves, overripe orange with peel, red grapes, red wine (not surprisingly), musty oak, raisins, gammlige dates
    • Taste
      Very strong and sharp onset of bitterness and tartaric acid undiluted, branches and soil in autumn, pure Bodeaux wine in the mouth, berry compote too long left, a bit of coal as well, dry-bitter, mocha, dark chocolate, something of edible mushrooms, old chest of drawers, musty oak dipped in red wine
      Dry bitter, the worst part, just bitter oak and dry leaves, overripe barrel, medium long, some raisins and sweetness + tannins from the wine