one in wishlist
27 × member ratings
86 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Balblair 1999
13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.44 points
- A nice Balblair with a good balance between the bourbon and sherry barrels. There’s quite some cherries, red berries and vanilla/caramel sweetness combined with grassy notes. It’s light, not too sweet, aromatic and actually a decent sipper.
- Tasted in a Balblair range share line-up.
This is a bit of a shy expression.
Not bad, but glad I never bought a bottle.
Little sweet and sour sauce. There is some tropical note in the background. Some hay and heather are there too.
Overall it is a bit shy and could have been more expressive.
Sweet. Little sour note, but only in the background. Some tropical fruit. After a while the hay and straw takes over. Hint of vanilla.
Medium length. Straw and again some sweet and sour notes. Fades away with some sawdust.
- Part 7/8 of a Balblair range share. Before this I have tasted the standard 12, 15, 18, a ‘05 vintage (#116591), a ‘04 vintage (#53670) and a ‘00 vintage (#84025). Last 2 were quite big disappointments. Let’s see what more age in vintages does.
Ah. Back to decent levels again. This one immediately gives more depth and is more multidimensional then the previous 2 vintages. The layer of red fruit and fresh herbs does the whisky well. I get fresh chives, lavender, berries, nuttiness and vanilla butter.
Silky, smooth, sweet. It gives strawberry candy, cherries and a decent amount of fresh lemongrass as well as a whiff of caramel. A very decent body and very tastefull. Good balance between bourbon and sherry influences.
Finish remains long and gives a sherry orientated taste. But nothing overpowering. I get red fruits, nuttiness as in Macadamia nuts. Also honey and chocolate kick in. There is raisins at the very end. The sweetness of that goes on for quite a while.
After the standard 12yo and 18yo (not considering that price) this is the second best Balblair of the range share so far.
- Well married of chocolate with caramel with lighter notes of pleasing beehive. Quite flawless and elegant with fragrants old book bouquet. Gentle, soft elegant Balblair as always with harmless milky spicy at medium length.
Well-well, last dram at Whisky Live 2017.
— at Whisky Live Singapore.
- tasted during a Balblair Masterclass, november 2015
good combination of Balblair together with a sherry cask, nicely balanced
- Light style, as could be expected. It's all pleasant though. It's not too sweet, and has a nice acidity. Grass, hay, mint, pear, apple, marzipan, vanilla, and a spicy edge of pepper.
Flowers, lilac, heavy
balanced, typical Balblair