Octomore Edition 07.4 / 167

L/150503 16/001
20 Jan 2016 5:48 pm by duerer79
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Octomore Edition 07.4 / 167

41 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.42 points

[September, 2018] Ooh, an extremely peated malt from a virgin oak cask - both are characteristics I do not like, usually. But I am brave and try this sample (thanks, VVP)...

...and it clearly confirms my suspicions. This is an extremely two-dimensional spirit with extreme spikes towards a peaty smokiness and agressive woodiness. Whoever loves these spikes might enjoy such a combo very much, to me it is rather disgusting (hey, where is the whisky in this mix?). Sorry, but my taste is simply different (and you know: There is no accounting for taste!)...
      The colour is burnished and the nose offers what could be expected: peat and wood. The distillate itself is hidden behind these curtains of impressive flavours so it is hard to detect any aromas of the spirit itself (are there any at all?). Not the kind of nose I appreciate...
    • Taste
      The taste is bitter from all the wooden and extreme ashy peat flavours but after some chewing I detect barley sugars, hooray! Is there anything else? Maybe, but my taste buds are blocked by the heavy spikes of the two dominant flavours - so they are unable to recognise more subtle ones (if there are any at all). Some water turns the nose punchier and the taste even more ashy-bitter. A further reduction releases additional barley sugars but still they cannot compete with the woods and smoke. This one is for lovers of extreme spirits only. Is this whisky? By definition: yes - according to my taste buds: no!
      The dram arrives mighty in the mouth with a mighty drying-astringent feeling from all the tannins and ashes. It is like licking in a wooden ashtray - sorry, I do not like this. The finish is long and sweeter (barley sugars only) but still mainly a two-dimensional peat-wood affair. Guess what...

2. VaryingViewpoint scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

This was rated 2 years ago, but to update my rating from 93 to 92 I had to delete my original rating completely and re-rate from scratch.

Upon opening the bottle and letting it stand for 30min before my first sip, I was with Serge on the oakyness and thought it was only ok. But on subsequent drams, the oak reseeds and is a wallop of dark cherry's with smoke in the background.

Now 6 weeks later with the bottle one third full and the oxidization taking full effect, I've just experienced the most amazing complex smoke black cherry note I never thought existed! Delicious!

This bottle is an amazing ride that I would recommend highly to anyone that is into Octomores. You just need to be patient with this one and as with most of the other Octomores, allow them to evolve. And you will not be disappointed!

No water needed with this one. I wouldn't dare!

An incredible trip, to say the least!

Edit February 2019; This is no longer to my liking the way it used to be when I had my first bottle over two years ago. My palate has changed in the last two in a half years and over that time I've eliminated several bottles from my collection that have disappointed me as I've become more discerning and less tolerant of sulphur laden and spiked infused releases. This Octomore 7.4 is now my least favourite, of all my Octomore's as this one is a spiked infused releases that is very disjointed, harsh, very sharply-wood driven, not balanced and is a far cry in both quality and enjoyment from all my other Octomore's. Re-rate this to a 86 from a 92.

I find tasting whisky is like listening to music, there are many different types of music that appeal to many different people. However, if you learn to have a keen ear and enjoy more challenging, dynamic and complex music, and at the same time are less impressed with gimmicky and one dimensional pieces of music you become more discerning and less susceptible one hit wonders and tend to want more than a basic rush of high octane. In your glass.

3. lachaineduwhisky did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

First rather surprising nose with little peat and ... cognac? Lemon, burnt wood, some chocolate. Some softness settles. Over time, vanilla typical of a bourbon emerges and settles by strengthening the chocolate. With water, more fruits! A touch of banana? Wood, spices evoking a rye.In the mouth, lively and round, not aggressive. Well spiced. Peat is not so strong at the first sip. The following are much more muscular! The water softens a bit. The nose is certainly the best of all the Octomore I've tasted. (Ten)

Enthusiasm 4/5

4. Collegiate scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

My least favourite Octomore at this point. That said, still lots better than many other peated malts out there. Typical Octomore peat, but the sharpness is too heavy handed thanks to the Virgin Oak. Not sure the extra couple years of aging are doing it any favours either.

An aside - I have taken to blending this with PC10 (a great entry level malt in its own right) and the sum is better than it’s parts. Just a few drops of this added to a dram of PC10 pulls the PC10 up into ~90 point territory imo.

5. Torgeir4 scored this whisky 86 points Member Senior

6. WhiskyBlood scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

7. WhiskyBlood scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

8. TechnOBY scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

9. AnPiobaireStreodag scored this whisky 93 points Member Senior

Tried this in a pub assuming it was the 7.1. Literally blown away with the 61% alc content. Very unique taste and a pleasure to experience. Bought a bottle for collection and will save for special occasion. Found it different to other octomore as most I’ve had are 5 year old.

10. Deloti scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior