- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Thank you and goodnight!
- Stated Age
- 08 years old
- 2nd Fill Ex-Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 59.9 % Vol.
- 700 ml 750 ml
- Bottle code
- L15 335 13;44 2
- Added on
- 19 Jan 2016 8:21 pm by Allandale
11 × in wishlist
52 × member ratings
83 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Ardbeg 2007 SMWS 33.143
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.26 points
- This bottling 33.143 and 33.132 and 33.133 and 33.134 were all distilled the same day. This cask was bottled after 33.133 so should have been 33.134 but due to a typo is ended up as 33.143 instead. Since the number 134 hadn't now been used the next bottling (which should have been 33.135 Peat roasted pig Hawaiian style) a few months later used 33.134 instead
Amber / copper
A red nose: sherry and red berries, sweet jam, leather, smoke, BBQ, beach campfire, toasted wooden barrels, coal and wet ash. But also brittle, nuts and a good portion of peat. The maritime aromas lie in the background and are replaced by the sweet peat.
Alcoholic, pungent and with a lot of spicy, salty spice - chilli and paprika. In addition wood, a lot of sugar and a bitter-bitter herbal-mint freshness that brings great contrasts - for us rather not the right composition!
Long - sharp and bitter with dry wood, dusty attic, ashes and actually relatively little peat at that moment. The smoke content is enormous, and notes of coal, cold asphalt and bitter cocoa penetrate. The fruit is submerged and the malt ends dry.
N: 87P / G: 83P / F: 84P
- Nose: tar, chocolate, salty, brine, seawater, smoke
Palate: leather, smoke, lemon, ash, tar, blood orange
Finish: drier, more on leather and earth. Tar, smoke, peat of course. Citrus again.
Thoughts: quite a bit more citrus in this one. More more leather and earthy. Both are great, but my preference is towards the first one. Just really solid for a couple of 8 year olds. Thanks to u/tomodera for the samples.
- This Whisky was sold for 336 € at Whiskyauction in Nov. 2016
- very interesting Ardbeg. Unusual. it has a lot notes of fresh alcohol but no typical fruity flavours of new spirit. everything you expect from an Ardbeg. smoke, peat, salt and so on plus some very intense and nice sweet roasted aromas that may come from the sherry refill. perhaps that was heavy toasted? I like it! could have had some more years in the cask to get more balanced or smooth, but nevertheless: it's Ardbeg! what do you expect.
- SMWS Tasting Notes
Colour: Dirty copper kettle
Flavour Profile: Spicy and sweet
Big licks of maple bacon, sticky pulled pork over hickory smoke morphing into gooey treacle toffee, liquorice and violet. Crispy skinned fish with barbeque sauce and tropical fruit kebabs roasted over white hot coals. ‘Properly good smoke!’ one declared, he was right. Chargrilled pepper and sweet potato muddled gracefully with sundried tomatoes and garden canes. Water brought out a delicious feast of charred pork crackling and Frazzles served with a Bloody Mary. The morning after cure theme continued with more bacon, blood orange, BBQ sauce and red pesto all served in a smoky greenhouse. Wicked but very good.
Drinking tip: After dark