Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Bowmore 1968

Strength
700 ml 750 ml
L493 239L
Bottled for
The Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Original Stanley P. Morrison Company
06 Nov 2007 12:00 pm
UncoloredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Bowmore 1968

10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.88 points

[November, 2001]  I had my first dram during a Jim McEwan tasting while cruising the river Rhine aboard MS Godesia.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored this 92,5.  My notes state an adorable fruity nose centered around blackcurrant aromas.  The body is well-balanced with fruity, peaty and maritime flavours.  The finish is okay (whatever this meant to me back then - I guess it is medium as I stated short or long finishes with other drams in that line-up).

2. ASWhisky scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

both the orange and the chocolate remain subtle
    and underline the noble character of this beautiful whisky

yes! I am in heaven
    93 out of 100 points

ranking:
    1st mouth, 1st finish, 2nd nose
      You cut up an orange
      Her sweet and sour juice runs over the wood
      fresh mint and chocolate melt in the pot
      You stir in the juice slowly
      a dash of bright 18y Macallan
      still warm, you try the mix
    • Taste
      smoke can be so tender and seductive
      soft and supple to your tongue
      the orange tingles
      on your palate develops the fine aroma of mint
      Chocolate accompanies her
      like a gentleman with flowers .. (I think he also has violets in the bouquet)
      long
      Smoke and tobacco flow warming in the throat
      Orange and chocolate remain subtle
      fine woody bitterness makes the finish apart
      towards the end finest malt and fruit sweetness with tobacco note

3. Prof.Schoof did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

This Whisky was sold for 1.405 € at Whiskyauction in March 2016and for 1.310 € in Jan. 2015

4. Medea scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

wonderful nose: oldschool, maritime-spicy, not as one-sided fruity as the DT 66er. Very fresh, a touch of smoke. Fresh with a little vanilla ice cream.
    Gaumn: silky-smooth aromas of exotic fruits. Passion fruit, spicy, creamy, some salt. Full-bodied with charming barrel flavors, also fresh, nice and light, spicysweet. A hint of perfume, vanilla. Very long and not a bit tired, becomes more and more fruity with time.

5. Thermidor scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

I didn't write a proper tasting note for this one when I tried it because I was with company, but I remember liking its fruity, gentle, and not overly cask-influenced profile very much. The downside for me was that the body was lighter and more delicate than I expected. Had it been heavier, more present (or maybe if the bottle had been more fresh), I could see myself scoring it higher. The nose and palate are delightful.

6. kimmosuo scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

7. jazzpianofingers scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

N: [Tasted blind]. Most bizarre in that it smells of my dad! Jokes aside, we all know our parents have a distinct scent and mine rather poetically omits the aroma of 1964 Bowmore! Back on earth, this is bready with extraordinarily compacted cereals, putty, vanilla, tutti-fruity, a hint of creamy peat, a touch of farm. I find the profile neither particularly unfamiliar nor overtly striking/reminiscent, and yet there is something unusual/rare & yet ‘just so’. We must be in the 1970s, even probably the 1960s.
    T: More compacted cereal fruits and a time-stretched [long summer days], lip-smacking developmental journey.
    F: Concludes eventually with sweet-bitter-dry bourbon vanilla, but what happens before the end-goal is rather,.. ideal.
    C: I cant place this at all. Theres nothing out of the ordinary in terms of alarming finishes, outrageous hyper-notes, bombs, tricks,.. Everything is [old skool] 'just so' and yet im not sure ive quite a reference for it - so actually in that way it is indeed 'out of the ordinary'. Revealed: Bowmore. The 'old man' asks me whether id ever had '60's Bowmore before. I wasnt sure i had, and i can confirm that this was my first.My score wavered between A- and A so today then: an A[-].

8. Marius scored this whisky 99 points Member Senior

This is my favourite whisky and will most likely be until i die. Fabulous exotic fruits and heavenly delicate smoke. It can't get much better than this on the nose :)

9. Furtia scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

10. QuarterCentury did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

A limited edition 32 year old bottling of 1968 Bowmore from the turn of

the millenium. It was bottled to celebrate the 50th anniversary of The

Stanley P Morrison company, owners of Bowmore since 1963.