- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Golden Samurai
- Sherry Cask
- 61.6 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- The Whisky Exchange Whisky Show 2015
- Added on
- 11 Dec 2015 3:06 pm by DonPedro
15 × in wishlist
30 × member ratings
57 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Karuizawa 1980
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.89 points
- I know where to buy one if anyone is interested
- a Karuizawa that seems at first quite classic and yet so different
yes, I was in heaven
in the end it was Grandma's old cellar;)
the classic Karuizawa
Dark, earth, old dried raisins
dusty old wood, leather, cold smoke in the chimney
he is so good right after pouring
with movement, floral notes are added
light citrus notes
the sherry now clearer
dried fruits that are still slightly moist
dusty old chocolate
a splash of puke water
in the background an exotic hint of etheric temple oils
you should drink it now
You have everything and immediately on your tongue
Leather, small dark raisins, fruity old sherry, exotic spices
they kindle a nice fire of emotions there
dissolve in your sweet saliva
caressing fruity smoky your mouth
Your palate feels the old polished wood
dusty chocolate that has become light over time
he is calmer
an aftertaste of temple smells
You are sitting in an old Japanese temple complex
the ground is tamped, the smell is dull and earthy
the old wood creaks
gong - then clap your hands - the gods must be awakened -
You taste dry and a bit bitter the wood
a strange aftertaste
like the old dried peel of apples
Bitterniss with dried fruits
a woman with sacrificial bowls moves silently past
Exotic stranger temple oils stick to your palate
the old dusty earth smells musty
as if the centuries were stored in it
and then you have to think about the old cellar of your grandmother
the ancient wrinkled apples down there
why did you have to bite in there ...
- This bottle was sold 3050€ on The Whisky Auction Society(WAS) in March 2017.
- I read on an auction site associated with TWE that there are just 100 bottles of the Golden Samurai.
- N: When does this happen - two Karuizawa’s side by side? This, followed by the 1981 Noh cask #4676 WB. At time of writing, i’ve no idea what strength this is given TWE haven’t given much info on this, yet to be released whisky - but it smells huge, The ash profile is immediately clear before the huge body is revealed - thick, sherried maltiness coupled with flavoursome & characterful, toasted, nutty wood. Huge amounts of chocolate there too and peanuts for sure. Theres a quiet but clear, spirity chemical note thats turning more hammy as it opens up, [a little Lowlands shape there?]. Then theres the herbs, fresh & dried, ginseng, angostura bitters, a little treacle-tar, some fresher notes of shallots, sweet ginger, soy sauce,….
T: Boom, that’s wood-thick, dark & rich and fully sherried with vanilla varnish and more resins flooding through. A touch bitter and fresh but its mainly sweet, chewy malt that reigns. Theres a jostling here, some muddling.
F: Thick, varnished, vanilla malt and ooh yes - [Meridian] natural yeast extract and fusty walnuts with ham & truffle shavings. That’s a long unravel.
C: Apparently [according to whiskynotes.de] its a single cask bottling, which makes it all that rarer - and hence £2000 rrp?
Scores a A-