Images of Islay Grey Seal at Portnahaven MoS

2015
Strength
30 Nov 2015 4:50 pm by OpenBar_PMI

Whisky Reviews for Images of Islay Grey Seal at Portnahaven MoS

16 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.86 points

1. glenenz scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

At first, I thought this was a Laphroiag but the bottle is getting more and more empty and now I know pretty shure this is a Port Chorlotte.  I had several one`s at the last Feis Ile and the profile now hits me.  Anyway this is a fantastic whisky and Port Charlotte on sherry always brings a smile to my face.

2. Mannix65 scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Young Islay, who still lacks some balance.
      Dirty sherry at an extinct camp fire, a little soapy, meaty, grilled ham, sourdough, boisterous youthfulness
    • Taste
      Freshly smoked stockfish, malt beer, charcoal, fresh brown bread crust directly from the oven
      Dry, smoky, medium long, slightly sour

3. Mannix65 scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

4. Tommyknocker scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

I do not know what that might be, I'm typing on young drowned in Sherry keg Lagavulin, whereby my previous Images theory - that the names should fit in geographically close locations to the respective distilleries on Islay - would be refuted. It could also be an atypical Port Charlotte ;-) Who knows. I have to repeat: he's nice, that's all.
      Here are the opinions of what a distillery could be extremely far apart, except Bowmore I've already read any other Islay distillery as a guess. From my point of view, it is first of all a young, smoky malt characterized by sherry cask. I do not find a typical Port Charlotte Stinkernote for me, but also no "clean" Caol Ila typical maritime character. Slightly acidic, the nose is there, some fruit, light fruit, lime. Already intense, but not quite my favorite style. Acts at any rate very young, but where the 49% "Fasstärke" should come from me is completely mistaken, at least not from 30 years of maturity ... nice, nothing more.
    • Taste
      pretty sharp start, now also here sour metallic, close to the New Make, which is to be covered by an active sherry cask. Well ... even after a while in the mouth offers nothing for me. Something woody, nutty sweetness, smoke, that's it.
      medium, no new findings.

5. Silenos scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Laphroaig???
    I think PC :-).

6. Alterjoe scored this whisky 88 points Member Senior

At the first nosing I shoot Islay's South Coast in the head. The smell of very sweet and warm smoke. But which distillery is it? Ardbeg leaves me. The smoke is different. Lagavulin and Laphroaig remain. I was at Lagavulin last year and was able to try the malted barley. This whisky smells exactly the same. Behind the partly greasy smoke come dates, pears and what is typical of my situation, green tea with maritime notes (seaweed) and pepper. Behind it, the alcohol rises into the nose with the almost 50% vol. (Menthol / mint).
    • Taste
      Taste: The whisky rolls relatively thinly over the tongue. The sweetness from the nose is not confirmed here. A fine acidity dominates on the tongue. Then there is the smoke, bacon, seaweed and iodine. Like a walk on the coast. The alcohol tingles on the tongue and the malt is very wild and stormy. This speaks for a certain youth. Really interesting. Islays south coast unfiltered and young at its best.
      Finish: The finish is dry and long with notes of cinnamon, oak, chocolate and coffee.

Cask: In my opinion, the sweet aromas in the nose speak for a sherry cask. The taste is more like a manzanilla. For me very similar to the Bad santa from a dream of scotland. This is also a 14 year old Lagavulin from said barrel.

Conclusion: For me an absolutely worthy and young Islaymalt. I can understand why Fabian tastes so good and I'm actually sure about Lagavulin (80-90% ????). Ardbeg and Laphroaig are not for me. Port Charlotte also has a different smoke. Kilchoman and Bunnahabhain are also out for me.

7. Islay1881 scored this whisky 100 points Expert Junior

Warm bonfire smoke and fruit perfectly combined and mixed with maritime notes. One of my all time favorites. I wish I knew for sure what Distillery and Cask it was to find similar ones without drinking through all of Islay... hey, doesnt sound so bad though after all!

8. The Macallan scored this whisky 78 points Connoisseur

Quite nice, short finish but last longer in mouthfeel.

Not very exceptional.

There are thoughts of Laphroaig and Lagavulin. Bare in mind that youg Kildalton malts, matured on a first fill oloroso sherry butt, are very much look like one another. My first thought was indeed a Laphroaig, but it could be a Lagavulin aswell.
      Very medicinal, iodine, smokey.
    • Taste
      Sweet smoke, sherry, floral and some orange.
      Short, fast, spicy, drying smokeyness.

9. squaadgras scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur