88.06/100
Sherry Cask
Strength
26 Nov 2015 10:03 pm by QuarterCentury

Whisky Reviews for Ben Nevis 1972 MBl

17 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.06 points

1. FernetBranco scored this whisky 61 points Connoisseur

So why the cost over 300 ¬ is a mystery to me. Unfortunately a big disappointment. Flat, bland and anything but remarkable. What did he do for 43 years in his barrel? The finish is still the best: short and painless ...

2. wbarchive_104650 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

The nose is really great and is very complex with flavors that are not tangible or indescribable for me. In the taste and finish one notices the age clearly, since here with "only" 42,5% a lot is brought out (nevertheless, if the two, three per cent had more, would surely be an absolute dream).
    Although the taste and finish are rather subtle, I like the overall package of this Ben Nevis very well. Luckily I have a little something in the sample in it
      Tobacco and leather; dark, sweet sherry meets dried fruits; Furniture polish; a little sulfur; slightly tart notes are also there; Christmas fruit (oranges and mandarins with clove and cinnamon); very subtle herbal flavors; slight bitterness and spiciness; the nose becomes more complex over time and it will be difficult for me to name all the flavors.
    • Taste
      very oily and very soft on the tongue; oak again together with leather and dark fruits; again full, dry sherry; the tingling builds up only very slowly and is very discreet
      medium to long; the oak dominates the finish; again dark fruits and a heavy sweetness; the oak remains on the palate for a very long time; again slightly harsh;

3. MrRancho scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

A lovely palate, which drives away time for an hour or so without getting bored. Need some time in the glass (30 min). Hand warming also brings new facets. I can really recommend it to anyone, I've never had anything like that in my glass!
      Sweet, caramel, milk chocolate, dried apricot, orange. After a while grass and hay. With hand warmth still leather, pipe tobacco. And there are many more notes that I can not describe ...
    • Taste
      Sweet oak and a barely describable flavor conglomerate. In any case, cocoa, but also salt stalks or potato chips ...
      The finish is not too long, but it remains a bitter-interesting residual sweetness after another sip demands.

4. Dramlicious scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Alright, it took longer than expected, but here it is! My 200th review on dramlicious.com! And what would be better than to celebrate this special occasion with a special whisky?

5. Marko_I did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

Very yummy, nothing flat or superimposed, as my pre-posters write, but with a Ben Nevis I would have been looking forward to a little more kick towards Maggi / herbs / wood, to "normal".
    Is he worth 340 €? 43 years cost me, I had probably even more expensive, I tasted less good, but also cheaper, I liked more. Everything in the frame.
      sweet, syrupy, with a fruity slightly acidic note (molasses, beet syrup, sherry, ripe red grapes, blackcurrants) ... but also dusty, dry old wood, old dry herbs, slightly bitter, Maggi, tobacco ... fascinating, me Every time I nose my nose, I can only smell either the sweet-fruited or the tart notes
    • Taste
      Syrup and juicy grapes here too, but only briefly
      after a few seconds, the oak fights in the foreground, milk coffee, dark chocolate, but remains very sweet, the bitterness does not kill, Storck giants, a hint of herbal liqueur ... creamy mouthfeel, full-bodied
      long, bittersweet, molasses, tobacco, leather

6. Murxus scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

probably already overaged: slightly bitter sweetness of very dark caramel / molasses, bouillon, soup vegetables. The typical Ben Nevis I do not find here, the barrel has probably now heavily overlaid.
    Nevertheless, with peculiar charm and interesting. PS (25.01.2016): I could not resist the attempt and blinded him with a Ben Nevis SV 1991 cask2909 (in the glass). So it would be 91 pts 8) PPS (11.02.2016): with "overaged" I mean that the barrel was already slightly above its zenith. Not at all inedible, I enjoy every dram and my rating rises from Dram to Dram on 89/90 pts. :-)

7. EJS scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

8. Heerst scored this whisky 86 points Member Senior

An intensely aged Ben Nevis that needs a lot of time to open up. My first sip from the sample I experienced as overly bitter and dry, but it has developed a lot more attractive nuances now that it has had some air.
      Campfire, incense, balsamic vinegar, shoe polish. The Ben Nevis fruitiness hides beneath a layer of ashes. It becomes sweeter as it spends time in the glass. Vanilla cake, marzipan, cinnamon and herbal liqueur backed by hay and tobacco leaf.
    • Taste
      Worn leather shoes in an old wooden closet. Mothballs. More bitter than the nose suggests. Fruits and syrup rise up slowly but remain hidden beneath wooden floorboards.
      Dusty wood and herbal liqueur. A drying and powdering sensation lingers on the palate.

9. pianoman scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

Sweet pipe tobacco, cherry jam, some menthol. Leather, freshly cooked coffee, dry earth, cress. Raisins, vanilla bars.
    • Taste
      Oily. Dark cherries, farmer's bread with sugar beet syrup. Some pepper, old wood, dark chocolate with candied orange pieces. Black tea with candy sugar.

10. ColdAesthetics scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Very split on the evening, my colleagues gave him extreme 80P partly, I liked him quite well.
      Mocha, with sweet tobacco, chocolate and Nussigkeit, some furniture polish on damp wood, dried mandarins and apricots, some nutmeg, cinnamon and a bit bitter, vllt. some lovage too
    • Taste
      Coffee and leather, some lovage and furniture polish, tingling, nutmeg, tannins and dried fruit, ginger and clove, tobacco and liquorice, brown sugar slightly burned
      Here you can see the age, quite long, elegant, slightly dry-bitter with the tannins, some tea and mocha, cloves and nutmeg