- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Stated Age
- 03 years old
- Fresh Toskana Redwine, Toasted Bourbon Casks
- 46.2 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 25 Nov 2015 3:57 pm by RoyC
3 × in wishlist
37 × member ratings
44 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Thousand Mountains 03-year-old
11 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.62 points
- Tried yesterday. It's a tasty young whisky that has nice red wine notes, while the barrel wood comes through. You can tell that he is still very young, but he shouldn't have stayed in the barrel any longer, otherwise the wood would have got out of hand. The distillery definitely has potential and I'm excited to see what's coming in the future and how the different batches will turn out.
- I'm excited! If someone is looking for an outstanding German whisky, then he will find it here! This Mc Raven brings a surprisingly intense aroma of spicy grain notes, lots of vanilla and great fruit flavors. Despite a maturity of only about three years, no youth is noticeable at all. On the contrary! The whisky looks very ripe and balanced. So he shows a very different picture than a typical young Scot, which he does not have to hide under any circumstances.
The first nose is determined by sweet full grain notes (sourdough bread with forest honey, pumpernickel, warm barley mash). Spicy sweet vanilla flavors (steamed noodles with vanilla sauce) develop quickly, marzipan wrapped in chocolate and sticky sweet fruit flavors (dried apricots, dried strawberries and redcurrants, honeydew melon with Serrano ham). Subtle in the background are also pleasantly musty leather and oak flavors.
After the first sip, the spicy vanilla flavors push forward a bit more (vanilla panna cotta with maple syrup and lemon balm) and also some chilling chocolate (ice chocolate) shows up now.
Here, the same aromatic cereal notes dominate as in the nose together with marzipan, sweet coffee notes, dark raisins, maple syrup and pleasant walnuts covered in chocolate.
The finish shows wonderfully balanced aromas of spicy walnuts, creamy dark chocolate, amaretti biscuits and vanilla. In the end, the aromatic sourdough flavors stay in the mouth together with forest honey, some mint and slightly cooling dry espresso notes.
- A surprisingly good German whisky.
Mild, sweet, fruity, no trace of alcohol.
- N: vanilla, friendly, little shy, woody, malt and wine influences
P:slightly sweet, creamy, slightly drying in de back, nice
F: spiced vanilla and coconut, medium length
C: Great stuff!!
- McRaven - Thousand Mountains
Tasted 2017-04 @ Thorsten:
N sweet, apple pie
g strong, bourbon, alcoholic touch through youth
- angenehm, easy drinking
kräftig Nüsse, Marzipan, Brot
kräftig am Gaumen, wieder Nüsse, Eiche, vergranntes Holz
mittel lang, Eiche, etwas Vanille
- Malt Valk,
Thanks for the sample. ;-)
- Bought this bottle at the micro distillery in Kallenhardt, Sauerland (half hour drive east of Warsteiner). Lovely atmosphere, beautiful polished pot still.
Eye: Fino plus. Irregular beads. Nose: Quite pronounced. Winter tea (licorice, laurel, aniseed). Intense marzipan/almond, pure cacao, and orange peel. Confectionary kiwi, dried banana chips. Hay. Spray of glass cleaner. Mouth: Gentle mouth-filling fireworks. Filmy coating. Warm and soft, kiwi, licorice, pure chocolate. Finish (honingdrop) lingers. Residue: Marzipan, some asparagus.
Amazing dram, taste is very mature for such a young NAS. It is aged at Kentucky bourbon and red wine barrels from a local Toscan vinery. It won Silver at the IWSC 2015.
- Note from distillery:
Description: From our Kalle Hardter water and malt, we make a mash, which is gently saccharified and fermented with special yeast. Firing by a specially developed, aroma gentle combustion process which promises a Rohwhisky of the first order. This allows us to produce a first-class whisky already after a relatively short barrel aging. The storage of our Mc Raven is initially in Tuscan wine casks and in selected bourbon casks. Our master distiller Julian Wellhausen fills our Single Malt unfiltered and dyed into our hand finished bottles.Taste: The taste shows a slight sweetness of marzipan paired with fine, peppery sharpness, to aromas of dark fruit, oak, vanilla and dark chocolate.
Smell: The Mc Raven shows Nosing an intense aroma of vanilla, malt and fresh fruit. Attention! He unfolds several times with different nuances. Give him time.
Appearance: Natural amber color by the barrel aging.
Tip: Our Thousand Montains McRaven Whisky has 46.2% volume This allows you to give him a few drops of water.. You will be surprised, be the flavorings nor price Enter. The dining experience is enhanced.
0.7 l • 46.2% vol.