- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Special Barrel Release
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- 1st Fill Bourbon Barrel
- Number of bottles
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- Bottled for
- The Nectar
- Added on
- 21 Nov 2015 1:18 pm by PitchBlack
8 × in wishlist
35 × member ratings
35 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Knappogue Castle 12-year-old
8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.48 points
- very pleasant fruity malt, tastes and smells not really Irish, super fruity start, peach, oranges, soft, mild and tasty
- Good value for money for a fruity whisky.
The nose is a little behind even if we distinguish a beautiful fruity and vanilla frame.
On the palate, the fruity side is confirmed, fruit from the orchard, drawing on exoticism. It is very sweet, honeyed, almost sweet.
The finish is average, not surprisingly.
- Very bright and summery, beautiful Irish Single Malt that kind of does an asian twist on your tongue, especially with one or two drops of water. It's very good to see that Irish Whisky is also improving and hitting the sweet spot on the relatively lower end of the price range, not only with old stock from the 90s being sold for >250 €.
This 12yo Knappogue Castle was very affordable and, if you can still find this cask or something similar to this, highly recommended.
Vanilla custard with a very light caramel sauce scented with rosewater and lemon oil. Tonka bean, flowers, honey, a hint of cinnamon, ozone and the typical Irish engine oil note lurking very discreetly in the background.
After 10-15 minutes and with a drop of water: Much fruitier now, with green apples, honeydew melon, banana, lemon skin and suncream.
Delicious summery nose.
Beautiful, full-bodied attack on sour exotic fruit - starfruit, papaya and lime, then some vanilla kicking in and the sweet malty flavours coming to the front. Very nice development on bitter grapefruit, barley sugar and just a touch of oaky wood spice (ginger, cloves, coriander seeds) on the way to the finish.
Medium, very nice on woody mango flavours, ginger and sweet barley.
Vanilla, lime, apple and a little banana. Rather flat.
Vanilla, apple, lime and spice.
Vanilla, lime, apple and fig.
- Fruity that struggles to unfold to finally give exotic fruits, ethereal limit. On the palate, vanilla and exotic fruits. Nice and accessible!
- Fine, elegant, super fruity, beautiful balance. It's really juicy and very easily drinkable. Dangerously drinkable I would say. Very charming ... This is a whisky very well done that is drunk like nothing. The nose is really very catchy.