12 × in wishlist
28 × member ratings
33 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Caol Ila 1995 CA
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.69 points
- Wow,fantastic nose, complex cold smoke, immediately nice even if you only open the cork.... Sweet and long in the mouth, not a really active Sherry butt, but who cares? This is great and works well, definitely 90.
- This Caol Ila was matured for 20 years in an almost dead cask – a big one at that. So we’ve got aged new-make in a sense, just a bit added by the cask, most properties can be attributed to subtractive maturation (i.e. “nasty” notes and harshness taken away from the spirit). Oily, sweet, faded peat, earthy and floral notes - I like it a lot – but, again, this might not be for everybody!
Full review: https://dokla.net/dailydram/2016/01/13/tasting-caol-ila-1995-20-yo-by-cadenheads/
- Softly smoked & slightly salted, perfectly matching Caol Ila DNA.
A bit shy at nose, get empower at mouth, ending with a very long finish.
- Caol Ila 20 yo 1995/2015 (57.7%, Cadenhead, Authentic Collection, butt, 564 bottles)
I can’t see how or why something would go wrong. Unless it was a
PX-treated butt, you never know… Colour: white wine. It wasn’t a
PX-treated butt. Nose: grass and iodine everywhere, plus the same old
wet tweed jacket and the sharpest lemon juice ever. A blade-y nose. And
fresh almonds, but I get no butt (well done again, S.) With water:
totally unmarked by the wood. Pure youthful Caol Ila, only polished by
time. Mouth (neat): cuts you in halves before you even notice. If it’s a
blade, it’s a katana. Huge lemon, plus other acid fruits, rhubarb again
and again, barely ripe grapefruit... But a butt? If it was a butt
indeed, they last used it for sherry whilst the invincible armada hadn’t
even set sail yet. With water: superb ultra-sharp profile, totally
blade-y. Smoked lemon juice. Finish: long, millimetric, super fit, razor
sharp… (I think we got what you were trying to say, S.). Comments: a
butt? Wasn’t it rather a great ex-Sancerre cask? Spectacularly sharp. SGP:466 - 90 points.
- This was my first Caol Ila dram and I really liked it. Not too much phenol, but fruits, vanilla, malt and a salty seabreaze...
- Cadenhead's official tasting notes:
Nose: Sweet and creamy. Lots of vanilla with soft fresh smoke.
Taste: Light smokiness mixing with honey, almonds, kiwis and a dry earthiness.
Finish: Smokiness builds in the finish along with double cream and lots of fresh vanilla notes. Classic Coal Ila.