79.20/100
Sherry Cask
Strength
29 Sep 2015 9:21 am by Theli

Whisky Reviews for Tomatin 2006 HeHi

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 79.20 points

1. Baradhur scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

This tomato can still be sourced from the Heidelberg Highlands shop. And that's why I want to caution with this part. I do not have to give advice or advice to the friends of the extremes. But I would like to give all connoisseurs the following friendly advice when making a first contact. As experience you should or you can drink it the first time in pure form, then it really makes sense to miss the young Speysider a few drops of water. Personally, I enjoyed most of the bottle in its purest form, but I always took only small sips in my mouth. However, in order to have a taste experience, which requires the whisky to spend a little bit of time on the tongue, nobody gets around the use of water. A little water and the aroma softens, the nuts come out even more and the sweetness of the malt comes to the fore. A welcome effect from the addition of water, the effect of high alcohol strength is taken out of the game and it can be more dedicated to the whisky. I put in enough water (half an eyedropper) and still has enough steam in my mouth. In the process, more fruits are found that can be found in the stone fruit area. The behavior in the finish is similar, as enjoyed in pure form. Finally, a whisky that is very attractive in terms of price and with which it can be experimented a lot. If I were organizing evenings for myself, the Heidelberg Highlands Tomatin 8y would be the perfect candidate to show my guests the effect of what can be taken out of a whisky when water is added to it.
      The Sherrybackground you notice the Tomatin. But due to the very high filling strength, the sweet aroma cloud is accompanied by spicy ginger. One step ahead, I first smell weak grassy notes, dried hay and cornflowers. Only then are the sweet-smelling odor flavors. Light milk chocolate and caramel, with apricot that has exactly the right maturity to enjoy and apple fresh. Very generous is the tomato with roasted nuts. I find it not so easy to find the odors, which is due to the high cask strength. After the first run I try the whisky again with a few drops of water. Dark glass comes out of the glass. Since I find no more odor notes, I go to the next chapter.
    • Taste
      I think once that the Tomatin in the mouth will take up massive space, so I'm a bit deliberate with the first sip. Careful is the mother of the porcelain box. As expected, the tomato immediately spreads full force in the mouth. Just one or two seconds after the contact with the inside of the mouth, everything becomes deaf in the short term. Fortunately, this condition is not permanent, a dry sweetness comes out. The appearance I suspect once, the Sherry Butt used previously contained Oloroso. Now I taste creamy caramel. The nose-rich roasted nuts are also present in the mouth. Weak oak wood can be found in between, combined with malt sweetness.
      The registered in the taste notes sound very fast. However, the finish with the remaining malt sweet tends towards mid-length.