82.64/100
Strength
20 Sep 2015 7:10 pm by LordBellamy
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredSingle Cask Whisky

Whisky Reviews for Bruichladdich 2002 AI

21 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.64 points

1. rottendon scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

I understand why that is controversial. He is always his own! If someone does not like this flavor constellation, then he can only rate it badly. For me, which I like very much, this bottling is more likely to be found among the positive exceptions.
      Strong wine at the first inhalation, but not unpleasantly sour, but full and full, the second time sulfur with peach compote, the third time sulfurized pineapple. Not bad for the beginning, now he gets time. After a while, you can find heavy, dark sherry fruits, as well as distinct caramel notes and grapefruit rests. When heated, the sulfur note becomes clearer again. Sweet, rich and sulphurous notes, well interwoven, with a little salty sweat. Heats up more and more sulfur.
    • Taste
      A relatively soft onset brings light acidity and initially aeration, before coming up behind a light Pfeffrigkeit paired with honey sweetness and the oak slightly harsh enters the flavor. All this is framed by a salt note that really brings up associations of seawater. The sulfur is back, the oak is stronger behind, but never becomes dominant.
      The finish is amazingly sweet and quite long. In addition to the sweetness results in a delicate ashiness, should the smoke have seen, he has hidden well before the finish. Also, the reheating in the throat takes quite a while, this ashen memory forever.

2. Alois scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

A great malt to a campfire, even in summer.
      Smells extremely musty and charred wet wood.
    • Taste
      Mildly sweet. Some smoke. Like a campfire in the mouth.
      Light burning, oily, strong and fruity

3. Helgo scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

What a sulfur bomb! This is the central character of this Laddies. Wet scorched matchbox covers many other flavors. If you give it time, many small nuances come and also the typical sherry notes come out very fine. In fact, you have to like this kind of sulfur. I find that very interesting. Rarely had such a dull whisky in the glass.

4. Dottore scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Blind tasting: Islay Whisky, Vol: 50%, 16 years. My favorite so far. 92 points. Edit: Haha! because I lie so far above the cut. I think it's awesome, but I generally love funky whiskys
      very fantastic nose, complex. Smoke. Fermented fruits and light sulfur. Mountain herbs, orange zest. Honey.
    • Taste
      wow is the great! perfect blend of sweetness, smoke and fruit, perfect drinking strength. fantastic
      wonderful, long, the taste continues in the finish. subtle bitterness.

5. ASWhisky scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

I like to drink it, unfortunately a small alcohol note
      sourish / sweet
      fruity
      dried fruit
      Dust .. sulfur
      easy alcohol
      sweet barley, raisins
    • Taste
      a little alcohol
      Chocolate, raisins
      Sulfur, wood and sherry
      very distinctive taste
      medium, and mediocre

6. Spuckschlecht scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

This was an extremely active and unusual sherry keg. Manzanilla or Amontillado. Definitely nothing sweet. Matchbook booklet dissolved in grapefruit juice. Tomato chocolate with Fleur de Sel and brackish Parmesan.
    It reminds me a lot of the Longrow 16 Manzanilla and even more of the 94er BenRiach of independentspirit.

7. gallfux did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Since I make it easy and refer to my notes from Deanston 20yo WID: 75098. Have just taken a small sip of Deanston. They are not dissimilar. The Bruichladdich has only slightly more pronounced sulfur, firecrackers and pencil notes, but less sherry keg effect. Anyone who found the Deanston 20yo too violent will certainly not like the Bruichladdich. Who, like me, likes Deanston, will probably like this Bruichladdich as well.

8. Gloin scored this whisky 49 points Expert Senior

Even before the smell, you notice how murky the whisky is. The smell is disgusting, something else I can not think of. The taste is not better. I tried the whisky because I wanted to know how sulfur compounds taste. Now I know it and I know too: I do not like it. For me, the stuff has nothing to do with whisky and enjoyment, as I understand it.
      Uh ... what's that. Very weird stuff. The first thing that gets in my nose is some sour fermented fruit. Behind it comes an artificially lazy note, on the border to the disgusting. Salty brackish water mixes with the smell of fireworks. Somewhere beyond, I recognize a hint of whisky. I really do not feel like drinking, but curiosity triumphs: do the strange impressions continue on the palate? So, in it, for science ;-)
    • Taste
      The onset is soft, the alcohol does not burn, but then ... the palate is even worse than the nose. I honestly do not know what to compare. The first thing that comes to my mind is yogurt, well above the expiration date or sour milk, something artificial is coming up behind it. I will not try it again.
      The finish is still the most bearable, though far from enjoyment. Unfortunately, he is quite long on the palate.

9. mr_barleycorn scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

The detailed review is available at https://mrbarleycorn.com/2018/07/07/bruichladdich-13-years-islay-trail/
      Maritime-salty notes right at the beginning. Then clearly fermented fruit. At the same time dark fruits in combination with burned matches or Silversterböllern. The fruity component reminds me a lot of kombucha. I also discover mint, soft smoke, some wood and tobacco notes.
    • Taste
      At the beginning rather dry and dry on the tongue, but the sweetness comes through with the second sip. Again, they are old, almost fermented fruits, which I like to taste and somehow, with time and in connection with the now clearer match wood smoke, it becomes quite tasty, but really dirty. I also find salt that plays well with the fruits. Add citrus flavors, honey and a load of black pepper. Reminiscent of Talisker at the back and tingles neatly on the tongue the longer you keep it in your mouth.
      Medium to long, oily, salty with lemon, oak and still the memory of kombucha.

10. Joe Karacho scored this whisky 89 points Expert Junior

Horny part, if the cask strength he would crack for me 90, but also remains such an independent Sherryladdie of which I must necessarily get hold mehrflaschig ...
      Highly interesting, definitely sherry in the game, fireworks shot down, fermented fruits and seaweed
    • Taste
      The headstrong nose is also found in the mouth again, oily and soft, fermented fruit as in the pantry forgotten mirabelle plum next smeared smoked fish, a great combination
      Medium long, sweet, mushy and slightly smoky