- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Barrel - Sherry Cask
- Stated Age
- 15 years old
- Sherry Cask
- 47.8 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 25 Aug 2015 11:50 am by Ras Mazunga
5 × in wishlist
14 × member ratings
34 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Balvenie 15-year-old
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.36 points
- This Balvenie is characterized by an intensive forest and wood note. The nose is reminiscent of a walk in the forest, the flavor of the "forest note" draws to the finish. An interesting Sherry Cask, which has passed on the tart wood notes, leather and espresso notes rather than the fruity aromas of the distillate. An interesting and delicious Balvenie.
Intense wood aromas and pine needles dominate the first impression. I stand in the woods, it smells of freshly felled fir trees, sawdust and mossy forest floor. From my picnic basket fall orange, apricots and walnuts on the slightly moldy forest floor. The orange burst, the expiring orange juice exudes an intense aroma and mixes with resinous pine needles and spice wood notes. Sweet caramel and forest honey now dominate the fragrance.
Resinous woody aroma immediately dominates the first sip, fir needles fall on the forest floor, creamy toffee and caramel is added, leaving a sweet yet austere blend of wood. A touch of sharpness arises, espresso powder spreads in the mouth, subtle leather flavors show up. A few grated dark chocolate fall on the freshly ground espresso powder.
Spicy and sweet wood makes the finish of his work begin. Wet leather mixes with espresso and pine needles. Unripe walnuts fall into wet leaves, discreetly bitter wood elements exude a fine, dry aroma for a long time. Resinous and grassy, the finish sounds slow with a harsh wood and walnut note.
- Another barrel and a completely different whisky than # 2806. Here, the wood notes clearly dominate with considerably less sherry influence.
spicy, lots of wood, resin, leather, in direct comparison, this nose speaks a completely different language than Barrel 2806th Now gradually dusty dried fruit and a load of bitter citrus, grapefruit, orange, bitter walnuts, raisins, forest honey, with the time a bit sweeter with Caramel but the woody-resinous notes are the dominant here. In the second nose, honey, caramel and sherry are more evident.
very sweet at first, that surprised, honey, full and creamy, strong tannins, wood, caramel, speculaas, cherries, plums, bitter chocolate, walnuts
Coffee, oak, wood, honey, little plum, but again dusty old wood, resin, raisins, dry sherry, dark chocolate
- Compared directly to the recent casks 2805 and 2806: much weaker sherry influence, and much weaker overall. Maybe the direct comparison was too much for this baby when I tasted the samples, anyway it was pretty average (in contrast to the other mentioned casks).
- A very well balanced sherried single cask bottling from Balvenie. The
sherry influence conveys a delicate fruitiness, richness and elegance.
An amazingly great whisky with a beautiful composition of pleasant
flavours. I am fully convinced by this single cask bottling.
I thank Markus Heinze (Brand Ambassador for Glenfiddich in Germany) for the sample.
Rich aromas of sherry, candied fruit and Demerara sugar. Rum soaked
raisins arrive with notes of almonds, Christmas cake and toffee. Hints
of walnuts and subtle oak in the back. Mouth-watering!
Lots of sherry influence here: concentrated dried fruits, Demerara sugar
and some biscuit, complemened by an intensive and warming spiciness of
toasted oak, cinnamon and nutmeg. Delicate notes of chocolate covered
raisins emerge with slightly bitter orange peel and lingering walnuts
towards the finish. Well balanced with depth and texture.
The finish shows medium length with a delicate creamy sweetness of dried
fruits and raisins. Slightly dry with pleasant walnut flavours on the
tail. Very satisfying.
WITH WATER: Water brings even more
sherry-derived flavours and sugar sweetness to the fore. Well balanced
with lots of delicate spices - toasted oak, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and a
whiff of smoke in the back. Deliciously sweet on the palate. A huge
amount of sherry, raisins, and Demerara sugar mingle with a wonderful
spiciness and delicate cinnamon. The finish is long, sugary sweet with
candied dried fruit and prickling oak spice on the tongue. Amazing!