Laphroaig 21-year-old

Bottled for
Friends of Laphroaig Ballot
28 Jul 2015 1:59 pm by Erik Elixir

Whisky Reviews for Laphroaig 21-year-old

60 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.11 points

[October, 2015]  I had this dram during an "Laphroaig Bicentenary" tasting at Bonn.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50
    - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 90.  My notes state a beautiful fruity profile on ripe bananas and pineapples.  It swims like a flat iron (water is not needed!).

2. tfarrenkothen scored this whisky 95 points Member Senior

If this malt is worth its price, why is it being sold in these almost pretty bottles? Any questions that go through your head. I can only speak for myself and clearly say that he is worthy of me, I'm glad I took a bottle with me directly at the distillery. For me, malt is one of the best I've ever tasted. Of course, I'm a bit biased regarding this drop, I've tried it nunmal in the Brenneier the first time. I found him there super and connect with the malt many beautiful memories of a holiday. But that's what it's all about, if a dram invites you to dream and kidnap you in your memories, it's something special for you personally.
      In anticipation of a typical Laphroaig I hang my nose in the glass. In addition to the typical Laphroaig character with a decent dose of peat, iodine and the maritime sea flavor is waiting for a true fruit bomb. Tropical fruits like pineapple, sweet mangoes & juicy honeydew melon make up a unit with smoke. Likewise, I get a slightly fresh feeling in the nose, something like mint or even anise. I feel moved back to Islay, to the magical place where I tried this great malt for the first time. After some time in the glass and with the resignation of the smoke, the sea flavors and associations typical of me, which accompany every malt of this distillery, come to the fore. The longer I devote myself to this malt the more detailed the picture becomes in my head. Memories reminiscing, I can quite a bit of leather and also suspect oak. It's like sitting back in Laphroaig, in one of the comfy armchairs, in the Visitor Center, looking out the window at one of the windows.
    • Taste
      At the first sip, my mouth is watering. It is unmistakably a Laphroaig, but different. He is tamed, mature and knows a complexity that I do not know so from Laphroaig yet. First of all, the powerful smoke greets me, but this quickly escapes and lets through the wonderful potpourri of fruits. I think the already smelled mangoes and the pineapple again. Added to this, along with a malty sweetness, a decent portion of oak. The oak leaves me pretty quickly, but from far away, there is a hint of smoke.
      I really do not want to let go of this dram. For a very long time, the malt keeps on the tongue. A slight dryness and a touch of bitter it sticks to the palate. The fruitiness continues here, so I have a fruit compote of mango, pineapple and a wonderful malt sweetness in the mouth for a very long time. With this malt I feel like the island, he just does not want to let me go. He holds on tight and makes you want more.

3. rottendon scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

Of course, such an expensive malt for a special event raises certain expectations, no question. Since I could not gain access to the flavors at first, despite hours of hiding, disappointment was already spreading. I had not expected anything. All the greater then the wonder that the whisky could still deliver, and how! He's one of the best balanced whiskys I've ever had in my glass. At first, I thought he would like two, three percent more alcohol, but at first I'd literally have broken it off.
    Is he worth his money? Hard to say, yes, but everyone has to make that up with himself.
    Thanks again to the forum member who freely shared his bottle brought from the island.
      First, it begins with strong phenolic, but steamed smoke and clear citrus notes. After that, a strong sunstroke note develops, which develops into a strongly acidic Camphernote, and dominates everything for a while. Only then do you get some salt, vanilla and caramel, as well as leather. The sour notes vanish completely except for the still extremely strong citrus notes. He needs an awful lot of time in the glass. Then warms up very minerally, moist rock and iodine. Incredibly hard to get access to the flavors. It really has to flow over the palate, and then suddenly they are there, dark notes, caramelized red fruits, furniture polish, ripe oranges, caramel sweets, Ricola Swiss herbal sugar, the nose is now in constant change.
    • Taste
      After the closed nose, a bit of disappointment spreads first, and the expectation is very muted. Far from it: ripe smoke, toffee, some salt and a fabulous note of sweet, liquid block malt, in addition wonderfully citrusy notes and a tart sweetness, which climbs up on the palate and settles in the upper oral cavity. Wow, I did not expect that anymore. This sweetness is for me then the best thing about the malt. Unfortunately, I do not have a taste definition for it, it does not remind me of anything, it's just good. Laphroaig 21 FoL maybe? ;-)
      Dark malty it sounds, the oak is well integrated. The finish is ultra-long even for Laphroaig. The sweet malt still swings on the ashes for a while, before it glows slightly salty on the tongue for ever.

4. Gaija scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Very well done all-around but I might have expected more. While very pleasing and spontaneous, it lacks complexity and the finish is slightly disappointing. On the other hand, for what concerns "simple", efficient versions of the tropical fruit + peat combo, it doesn't get much better than that nowadays (for a 21yo OB, that is). The especially good arrival in that regard lifts it to 90. Probably too expensive.
      Smoked mango comes right away, mingling with shoe polish, paprika ... a fruity, bourbony Laphroaig indeed. Smoked pulco, pineapple, brine and acidic berries aplenty, integrated smoke. Fresh yet quite masculine : the typical band-aid comes later on. Smoked grapefruit peel, guimauve, then becomes more and more vegetal on nettle, various fruits vinegars (it's very vinegary in a good way, very close to the 15yo 200th anniversary in that regard, only fruitier and more spontaneous). Burning some wet green wood. Great, easy to understand, yet not terrificaly complex either.
    • Taste
      The arrival is quite brilliant I admit : the proof is just ok and the bright, juicy fruity profile when it hits the tongue is just adorable. Pineapple and mango shine for a second, redcurrant (or any acidic berry actually, can't really point it out), soon to be replaced by an extremely saline smokiness. Settles on salty soot, bitter oranges and various vegetal notes again, while the salty-fruity background remains.
      On a bitter and vegetal fruitiness again, with that same smoke of wet green wood as before, but it seems to have grown oakier here : plum stone, ginger, thuja ... yep, a bit woodier indeed. But some typical Laphroaiginess remains : soot, smoked salt, even touches of mustard. Not especially long, it doesn't bring anything significant to the table.

5. matts scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

Unmistakably Laphroaig and one of the strongest bottlings I've tasted to date. I have always been a big fan of the 18s. Unfortunately, the big bottle of the 18er was gone a few weeks ago, so now I have no direct comparison. Anyway, the 21er is currently ahead of me. Enormously complex, elegant and balanced, but not ironed out: maritime and wild at the same time.
      Wow, that's a nice aroma! I am very excited and could probably keep my nose in the glass for hours. The unmistakable Laphroaig character is immediately there: peat, iodine and maritime notes full. In addition, subtle leather, a hint of tobacco and a fresh minty herbal note. At the back of my mind is a not very accessible, light fruit mix that I really want to spend a lot of time exploring, because new nuances are always coming to light: grapefruit, orange, pear, cantaloupe and sweet green apple. Simply great: Laphroaig-typical, surprisingly fresh & fruity and wonderfully complex.
    • Taste
      A fat, sweet and greasy peat smoke that instantly evokes campfire connotations. The taste is Laphroaig-typical medical: phenol, iodine and a touch of furniture polish. For a short time, the taste rears up very spicy-intensive (ginger?). After that come increasingly leather, tobacco and bright, exotic fruits. The salty-maritime undertone is consistently present in all of this.
      The finish is very long and warm. The entire mouth is full of sweet malt, medical peat smoke. Ash and the taste of the sea. In addition a really beautiful oak, which becomes ever drier, leaves an increasingly strong almond taste and accompanies with a touch of espresso. As bitter I do not feel the resonance and the pleasant smoke is still present after more than 20 minutes.

6. magic_slim scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Superb Laphroaig - recommended.
      Sweet and fresh with peat & smoke, lemons and zesty aromas at first nosing. Lots of sweet and ripe citrus fruits ... lemons and oranges.
    • Taste
      Surprisingly powerful considering the 48.4%, very juicy and tasty. Lots of peat of course with pepper, sweet lemons and oranges. Decent notes of liquorice and oak n the background.
      Very long and peaty with a delicate spicyness.

7. Owidram scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

This is close to Islay perfection.

As you nose it, you understand it's going to be something special. Fruity and peaty, with a stunning depth and complexity.

Then the taste, is lifting up and you have these tropical fruits mixed with citrus and saltiness. Whaoooh. Fills all you mouth with something very living which is reacting over the palate.

Finish is OK, but it might be the weak point for me because when you have all this .. You never want the finish to end.

To end, there has been lots of complaints about the price. And I must admit I thought it was overpriced too. But now I've been tasting it different times, I must admit it is well worth its price.

8. peatbogger scored this whisky 93 points Specialist

Better than the 18yo, but not sure it's worth the difference in price.
      First a bit closed, but opens up beautifully

Very mild peat, some salt and sea, vanilla sweetness, spices like cinamon and ginger.

I can't find any trace of the distinct medicinal caracter of Laphroaig
    • Taste
      Warm honey sweetness, initial short shot of pepper, peat is about as the nose indicated, fat roasted walnuts, orange citrus freshness, also some darker fruit and blackcurrant
      Sweet with gentle smoke and a light return of the pepper.

Long and very well ballanced.

9. checkpointuk scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

http://kaypingers-whiskyblog.de/frontend/fullarticle.php?id=208 Color: pale gold
    Nose: Full vanilla flavors with fruity lime, grapefruit, honey and sugar. The high salt content, combined with leathery aromas and rather passive peat smoke fits quite well into the picture. Sparkling fresh and tasty to bite!
    Taste: Sweet, peaty and very smoky. Gooseberry, honeydew melon, green apple and hints of grapefruit make the malt stand on the palate. Caramel, cereals, some wood and notes of smoking ashes complete the taste.
    Finish: Medium long - with dominating sweet citrus freshness and only weak spiciness. Dry wood and still fading with a strong peat content.
    Note: For us the best bottling for the 200th anniversary!
    90 points (nose: 90 / taste: 91 / finish: 89)

10. Archer scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

A very, very round Malt! From the nose to the palate to the finish, he keeps the balance between peat and fruit, without tipping away in between. No metallic notes, no fainting in the finish: great!
      Smoke that gets milder surprisingly fast. From the beginning, tropical fruits (pomelo? Mango?). The more the smoke fades into the background, the more present the fruits become. Slightly maritime salinity.
    • Taste
      The start is strong: peat fire, kelp (no longer fresh, but already a little exposed to the sun), sea salt. Next to it very strong tropical fruits. Some pipe tobacco flavor. Old leather as from an old armchair. Oak comes to the fore and disappears again.
      Medium. On the tongue is a tasty peaty salt film, mixed with fruit sweetness. Maltiness comes up. Drying towards the end.