47 × in wishlist
114 × member ratings
259 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Ledaig 2004 SV
12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.38 points
- Nose: Phenolic peat, hickory smoke, flame-grilled meat, bacon, raisins, orangepeel, lovage, seabreeze, burning pine needles, incense, old petroleum lamp, tobacco leaves, fresh road tar and diesel oil. Everything’s just dirty and „black“. Taste: Overripe blood oranges, Lindt's sea salt chocolate, oak, maple syrup, medium rare steak, bbq sauce and pipe smoke. Everything wrapped in a heavy phenolic and dirty peat blast that can keep up with every great Laphroaig. Very sooty and oily mouthfeel. Not a single off-note to be found. A few drops of water are recommended at this high strength. Those 2004 SV Ledaigs are spectacular. Seriously, you can’t expect much more from a peated first fill sherry cask. Great spirit in great casks bottled at peak performance. This cask and the 900175 are the best options IMHO (most others were good aswell).
- Compared to Signatory cask 900146 (86 pts.) I feel this one is vastly superior.
Thanks to WB user GIORGOS for the sample!
A shade or two darker than cask 900146. What a refined nose for a 10yo! Enchanting, even. A solid combination of dry oak and a fatty, round, but bold distillate. Why am I thinking of Cadenhead? Faintly rubbery, but it's rubber of the highest quality :). Matches and cigar leaves. With water: Pine and fresh dill.
If you regularly wear a Panama hat or are for other reasons oversensitive to sulphur, this may not be your cask, but for anyone else this ought to be a hit.
Surprisingly loud peat, but the body's balance is exquisite. It starts mostly on sherry and peat with some oak supporting, but spices (cardamom) push through a moment later. Faintly charred, oily, inky even. Such finesse for a 2000s distillate! With water it just gets better.
The finish could be a bit louder. Perhaps the youth shows here. Some vanilla in the tail.
- Another great Ledaig from Signatory.
- Great sherry butt in cask strength. Wonderful color. Long finish. The best that is available in the market at this price. Total enthusiasm.
- I am more or less new in the world of Whisky but it is the best Whisky I have had so far. For me an absolutely "must have" in the whisky collection and I am very happy that I was able to buy some bottles. Enjoy!
incredible lovely smoke, remembering on the night I sat together with my dad for barbecue. A hint of honey in the back which gives it a smell where is no need to drink the whisky at first. I also smell some tobacco...
On the second tasting I now also smell salty bacon!
Without water the alcohol is dominant (due to 62.3%) but only for a second. Anyway I would recommend a drop of water. Directly afterwards you taste the smoke but also pepper, the honey is coming stronger therefore it is very sweet and even with the 62.3 an incredibly smooth whisky (w/o water)
Wooow! Extremely long, warm and I get the Sherry taste on the finish.
- Violent ashes / wet, extinct campfire / Almdudler herbal soda / honey / heavy alcohol - takes time or a few drops of water / clear, slightly bitter oak. For young 10 years really strong.