86.71/100
2015
Strength
07 Jun 2015 5:02 pm by platteau

Whisky Reviews for Auchentoshan 1992 EL

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.71 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Blossoms

Eiling Lim – aka Mrs Luc Timmermans – is a rising star among independent bottlers. In 2015 she released a 23 Year Old Auchentoshan from the very good vintage 1992, but before I noticed it was around, it was already sold out. So imagine my joy when the lady herself got in touch, saying she had found two bottles and if I wanted one. Can I have both? And thus it came to pass that one ended up in my collection and the other one was poured on my birthday.

Spring fresh nose on blossoms and tropical fruit, dried grass and something that reminds me of Dearly Beloved’s powder box. Green banana, dried apricot, papaya and a touch of menthol, some vanilla, liquorice and dried ginger.

Tropically sweet on the palate and at first it reminds me of Irish whisky. The better stuff, mind you. Ginger and mint arrive first, followed by a soft note of pepper and wood. Then the grass and the blossoms kick in, reminding me of spring again.

The finish is it’s trump card. Long, grassy, feisty and mildly drying.

So happy I was able to get this. Lovely release from my favorite distillery.

2. Arranthony_Moray scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Normally I'm not a big Auchentoshan fan but this dram is really surprising. A lot of fruit and blossems, a real spring whisky in my opinion. Really good job by Luc Timmermans and by Mark Dermul who has put it in his Birthday tasting.
      The nose starts with a lot of tropical fruit. I'm thinking of bananas, papayas, apricots. In the background I got some spearmint, some licorice as well. Smell really reminds me of a tropical smoothie
    • Taste
      Waauw what a surprise ... starts quite a kick of tropical fruit and a now more clearly note of spearmint. This whisky really reminds me of springtime ... Feels like a walk in the park during springtime ... i can taste the blossems that are revealing themselves for the first time of the year.

The abv is a lot lower then what i suspected when I tasted it first.
      The finish is long and warm, now I have some gingerbread, marzipan.

3. Georges scored this whisky 81 points Connoisseur

4. Georges scored this whisky 81 points Connoisseur

Fresh, fruity (lemons, grapefruit, tropical fruit), grassy
    • Taste
      Fresh, fruity (lemons, apples), marshmallows
      Medium long, fresh, fruity

5. WhiskyNotes scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Nose: a light, flowery and rather ethereal nose. Blossoms in spring, nectarine, unripe apricots, green banana and light tropical fruits. Hints of bubble gum and jawbreakers. Very fresh, with some menthol and quite a lot of waxy notes (lipstick). A bit of vanilla. Mouth: starts fruity and sweet, with lots of unripe fruits again. White nectarine, oranges, melon. A subtle Irishness. Light ginger and touches of green oak, making it slightly bittersweet. Some waxy notes again – it’s rather perfumed in a good way. Finish: fairly long, with citrus, green apple and a light grassiness.

The Lowlands are not my favourite region and Auchentoshan not my favourite distillery, but this is nicely different, very refined and just very good within its style. Definitely a spring whisky.