- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Feis Ile 2015
- American Oak, Moscatel, Oak Puncheons
- Number of bottles
- 57.3 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- Feis Ile 2015
- Added on
- 26 May 2015 6:26 pm by Eneloop2009
18 × in wishlist
111 × member ratings
282 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Caol Ila 1998
20 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.97 points
- Balance (22) Shikarno ... aromatic and tasty (91)
Dry, lemon drops ... eucalyptus ... grass ... pharmacy ... overfried sunflower oil
The taste is soft, sweet ... peat and ashes ... lemon ... pepper (23)
Finish spicy ... dry ... ash and fruit salad and lacquered wood ... burnt match ... (23)
- Very good Caol Ila bottling.
Peaty, maritim and mineral aromas at first nosing. There are notes of paraffin, smoke and green apples as well. A lovely nose.
Smoked apple with pepper and salt at first mouthfeel. Very spicy, dry and peaty. An oily licorice aroma and notes of ashes are coming up. Very nice and tasty.
Long, warming from deep inside with notes of ashes and peat and a dry, dusty aftertaste.
- Tasting Notes:
- Very promising in the nose, but can not hold in the mouth and then mutates again to a typical Caol Ila, albeit one of the better. Definitely better than the 2014er
Strong alcohol notes, kumquats, phenolic smoke, some ashes, oily, vanilla, some caramel
sweet, phenolic smoke, vanilla, tannins, here too the kumquats, but more restrained, some oak and herbs, above all lies a liquor mist
light smoke, fading and oak, quite long
- [June, 2015] I had this dram during a "Feis Ile 2015" tasting at Bonn.
In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 90. I took no detailed notes.