Cambus 1989 SMWS G8.5

85.13/100
Single Grain
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
Body surfing at Bondi Beach
700 ml 750 ml
L15 019 17:24 8ML
14 may 2015 9:20 am by nijholtm

Whisky reviews for Cambus 1989 SMWS G8.5

4 users have left 4 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 85.13 points.

1. FernetBranco scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

• Taste

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 4 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. nallacam scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

• Taste

4. Johannes de Silentio scored this whisky 84 points Member Senior

Color: Pale Gold

Nose: It's grain alright. Despite having some age--although a 25 yo is pretty much on the younger end for an acceptable single grain bottling--and being from refill bourbon, the first thing I notice is the vanilla. Moreover, even though it's fainter than poorer, younger versions, I get the buttery popcorn note that I so often find in grains (even bourbons). There is a little bit of mint hiding in there, which is refreshing. I don't get much beyond that.

Taste: Sweet vanilla and oak spice. Once more, nothing is surprising me thus far. It's definitely drinkable if you're in the mood for that profile. This is not some lightly flavored ethanol, despite the strength. Indeed, it has sort of rich mouthfeel that matches the buttery scent. Everything about this is pretty much sugary and fatty, so to speak. Water doesn't do much to the nose or taste.

Finish: Quick and harmless with lingering sweetness.

Comments: Solid grain, but very much grain, if you know what I mean. I imagine like many (at least in the Anglo-American corners of Whiskydom), I had a substantial part of my introduction to being a dedicated hobbyist come through exposure to Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. Perhaps this is a bit of a simplistic analogy, but Murray is sort of like the training wheels to the novice whisky enthusiast bicycle. There's value to them, but they're also (hopefully) outgrown. The point of this is simply that Murray is what I would call a full-throated grain enthusiast. He regularly gives very high marks to younger, cheap blends and he will give exceptionally high marks to long-aged and even middle-aged single grains. Combine that with an early, positive exposure to Compass Box Hedonism, and I once was very much aboard the grain train. Then, like many, I branched out and found that many other noted commentators are actually quite biased against grains. Hopefully not just jumping from one set of writer's prejudices to a broader group's, but I tend to agree with the group now: grain tends to range from mediocre to pretty-decent-but-not-great. Now, I haven't ever sampled any of the 40 yo+ single grains that can achieve high scores even with the anti-grain writers, so maybe I'll find some bottles that I really love. But for the middle-aged stuff that I have experience with, like this bottle, I can't see them ever going above mid-80s. Hence, here we are.

5. John Barleycorn did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

SMWS Tasting Notes
    Colour: Polished rollocks
    Flavour Profile: Juicy, oak & vanilla

The panel were transported to a nautical scene of newly
    sanded, then polished, teak yacht in warm sun. With new shoes, they stretched
    out on deck and enjoyed an herbal cigarette and Greek grappa. Our Australians
    friends captured the surfing moment along with salted caramel chocolate, with
    Nepalese tea and candy floss on the stick. Redcurrant jelly and pomegranate
    dryness relented with water to reveal Arctic Roll, wine gums and plum pudding.
    Floral rose and cut pine mingled with herbal flavours of cardamon, bison grass
    and pistachio nut. Sweet Mr Kipling raspberry tart concluded this curious and