- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 17 years old
- Bourbon & Sherry Casks
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- glass print label with age statement in circle
- Bottle code
- L15/081 R15/5097
- Added on
- 11 May 2015 10:05 pm by Ras Mazunga
21 × in wishlist
148 × member ratings
311 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Old Pulteney 17-year-old
37 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.86 points
- Aroma: open, sweet-salty, citruses, cotton candy, vanilla baked goods with icing sugar, very fresh, sea air, flowery meadow, very light minerality, stone chips. Over time, tones of salted caramel, raisins, dried fruit compote, and dried fish tones are added. A very comprehensive vanilla scent with sea and salt elements.
Taste: ginger speck, delicate spices, dried fruits: apples, pears, dark raisins, distinct salt on the tongue, mineral water, light bitterness of citrus zest, sweet lemonade.
Finish: longer than average, spices, not sweet stewed fruit, minerals, salt, zest. Basically repeats the taste, rather delicate, but at the same time remains for a long time.
Bottom line: a wonderful pastry-sea malt, a lot of vanilla, sweets, pastries and all this is balanced by freshness and sea salty notes. The sherry influence is very veiled, but also adds complexity with light dried fruit hints.
- This was love at first dram and it quickly became one of my favorite sub € 100 whiskies. As my last bottle is nearing empty, I'm on the look out for a replacement while they're still around. They are being discontinued in 2017-2018, sadly...
- A beautiful, soft and a bit delicate whisky that needs just a bit of water to reach its full potential, resulting in a great harmonious balance of flavours. 89 -90 points
An intriguing combination of salty tones, stewed apples and melon. After adding water the salty notes dominate some more, but I picked up lovely elements of apple cake, almonds, walnut and hazelnuts. Very promising
In the arrival the nose continues, with some nut oil joining the party. A party that only just starts after adding water (and another 15 - 20 minutes of your patience): such a rich, well balanced combo of taste and flavours while at the same time being delicate in the way it presents itself. Everything just starts to blossom now. The balance between the salty and sweet notes is accompanied by some marzipan and almonds, all coated in a velvety texture which dances in your mouth.
medium long, a bit sticky with licorice (the chewing wood kind). With water it becomes less sticky but it lasts longer, with some oily notes (nut oil and a bit syrupy).
- A little bit too sweet for my taste.
- Excellent whisky, even better for this price. For me it is a bit too sweet, but still I do love it.
- I prefer the nose to the taste, where I wish the salty side was a little more in the background.
sweet & sour strawberries, little bit coastal/salt, herbs, light flower honey, little bit of grappa
In your mouth and when you swallow: honey, banana, pineapple/peach mix, floral, bit coastal. After swallowing the salty side grows with the sweetness hanging in.
sweetness fading away before the salt.