90.60/100
Strength
5060051191725
15 Mar 2009 1:44 pm

Whisky Reviews for Bruichladdich 1966 DT

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.60 points

[December, 2007]  Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 034 that I bought for 150 Euro in July, 2007.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 90.  My notes state a delicious exotic fruity and very quaffable dram.

[April, 2019] Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 13 that I bought for 170 Euro in September, 2006. Finally, I can do a proper review now.

This Laddie is rather an old Grand Cru cognac in both nose and taste. In a blind tasting I would have betted a hell of money this is not a whisky but a very fine cognac. To be honest: I do not care, I like both.
      The colour is russetmuscat and the nose offers a very old stylish profile with tons of OBFs (old bottle flavours - here a mixture of old cognac, old rum and aceton notes). The nose is quite bold given the low abv of 40.5% with unripe fruits (apples, apricots, pomelo), honeys. liquorice and dry sherry aromas. Very complex and nicely balanced, after some breathing the wooden notes join in.
    • Taste
      The taste is old stylish and quite complex too but it takes some time and effort to get through this amalgam of intermingled flavours. Again this reminds me of old grande cognac with all their complexity and subtleness but it is hard to name the individual flavours involved. But there is no flaw or off-note, for sure.
      The dram arrives warming but not really coating on the palate with no distracting moments. The finish is rather short and adds some tasty chocolatey notes and no distracting moments except a minor cardboardy impression at the very end. Water releases more aromas in the nose but turns the taste and finish rather bitter (tannins) - I like the neat dram best!

2. Erik Elixir scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

N: very fruity - mandarin and mango, citrus, some varnish and chocolate - mocha
    T: wood, drying, spices - nutmeg, vanilla and tropical fruits
    F: creamy vanilla, juicy exotic fruits and later some mint