80.38/100
The Vintage Malt Whisky Co Ltd. (VM)
The Cooper's Choice
1989
2014
Strength
06 Mar 2015 4:06 pm by RoyC

Whisky Reviews for Tullibardine 1989 VM

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 80.38 points

1. peatbogger scored this whisky 67 points Specialist

This was a sample courtesy of karloff.
    According to the gospel it's not whisky until it's shared, and he shares them all, the good as well as the bad.
    But judging by the review I'm not sure that sharing will make this into whisky... I'm still all in for giving it a try.
    Have to say you have to be a true masocist to enjoy this one. I'm a sucker for cask strenght whisky, and I have no problem enjoying a good +65% whisky neat, but this one at a mere 53% left me in agony. Not judging it as harshly as karloff, let's just say I'm off the bottle... any bottle, for tonight.
    Not sure, but I think this bottling should have been stopped by some health and safety regulations.
      I'm not getting much from this.
      Cheap MDF flooring soaked in alcohol with some Glad-pack cling wrap.
      Something vaguely familiar from a dinner plate... is it Hollandaise sauce?
      Water makes all of this disappear and releases smoke and harsh licorice.
    • Taste
      It's got a soft texture and I'm not getting much feel of the alc in the mouth on arrival. Not that much to offer in nuances of flavour either. Mainly burnt licorice and extreme espresso.
      However it's almost etchy to the throat after swallowing and it leaves a smoldering lump of hot coal in the stomach.
      Heartburn anyone?
      I added quite a bit of water which made it go "green".
      Wet grass, compost heap with a shredded bicycle rubber tube. And it doesn't burn on the way down anymore, however it keeps adding fuel to the belly fire.
      When the heat in my stomach slightly reduces so I'm able to focus again, there are some sweet chocolat notes in my mouth. Not sure how much I would like to suffer to experience it again.
      With water this becomes easier to recognize, at least until it settles and my stomach reminds me that I've poured more gasolin onto the ongoing fire.

2. karloff scored this whisky 27 points Specialist

Whisky is supposed to be a pleasurable drink, I haven't enjoyed one drop of this stuff. Then why finish the bottle I hear you ask. I thought it would come good eventually, I thought I would have found the sweet spot but it alluded me. I could have left it for 6 month or a year but really? Naa it's done now and move on. The choice of a master craftsman apparently for my enjoyment. The Coopers Choice is a real bad one.
      This has water and lots of it for reasons I will explain later. Some plastic notes and window putty. There are some fruit notes but they are masked by the alcohol fumes. Sometimes the fumes carry other smells but this is just nasty.
    • Taste
      Waste of time going on about flavours because from the very first glass to the last which is now, I have had to experiment with water because the alcohol burn is so overpowering. It numbs the mouth and fries the tastebuds. So I started off with a couple of drops, then it got to a stage where it was 25% water, then 50% until I eventually drowned it. Still all I get is this unpleasant burn and it's only 53%. What the fuck were they thinking of bottling this stuff.
      Is there a finish I don't know, my whole mouth and taste buds have had the shit kicked out of them.

3. karloff scored this whisky 27 points Specialist

Can't understand some of the high rates on here and some are asking around £160 on the market place, I wouldn't give you £6.