- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bourbon Barrels & Oloroso Sherry Casks
- Number of bottles
- 57.5 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 24 Feb 2015 8:14 am by z-imaging
7 × in wishlist
136 × member ratings
300 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Tomatin Cask Strength Edition
33 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.76 points
- not sure how many sherry casks were used. I had a lot of bourbon cask in my glas. some honey, some vanilla. some sulphur, a bit meaty as well, together with the nice ABV this did bring in some notes I really do like. finish was nice, warm and long lasting. tasted a bit young but still fine. (WSZ18)
- For me it was not enjoyable and rather uninteresting. tastes of nutty bread gone off
- very intresting strong possition, it seems to me that Tommatin has got this own style of sweet and dry whisky at the same time.
- drop of water helps a bit
cake with some nutts, lot of sweet fruits (more like apples and berries than citrus), but eventualy some orange peel apears
fruitty, burnt nutts, choclate mixed with fruits,
a bit of sponge cake mixed with fresh fruits, vanilla
- Side by side with an other Tomatin CS with the new looks from 2018. Not so different. The 2018 is more on lemons, the first batch has more cookies.
Lots of grains with sweetness. Oatmeal breakfast cookies, muesli or whole wheat cornflakes, cruesli with caramel. Young bananas which are peeled for a long time. Cookie dough with vanilla and chocolate springles. Butter with cinnamon and some lemons.
Spicy stuff with that high abv. First a peppery and bitter start with orange peel, unripe red berries ,chilli chocolate and still oatmeal cookies.
Still too close to barley and grains with a burned sugared coating. Gingerbread and lemons.
It's mostly straw, young green wood and ginger. Not at all what a fruity dram Tomatin can become after time.
As crazy as it sounds, it actually smells of meatloaf right away, and that's just as much in the official tasting notes. The whisky smells absolutely unusual for me at first. The sherry sweetness is visible in the background, but it first dominate hearty (food) odors. He even has something acidic, so that the association arises after ginger, but without the corresponding sharpness. Gradually, the smell "normalizes" in the direction of sweet sherry.
The nose does not change with water for me.
The high alcohol content according to warm and powerful start.
Significantly sweeter and fresher than the nose with citrus fruits.
With water, a little more aromas come up against the strong alcohol. The citrus fruits are accompanied by a slight nuttiness.
With and without water a bit metallic on the palate. Here is probably a certain youth.
Caramel, cookie dough, peach, butter, raisins, orange and hint of grass.
Fudge, orange, peach, caster sugar, butter, old bread and nuts
Medium, malted grains, a touch of lemon, raisins and nuts