88.06/100
Oloroso Sherry Butt
Strength
20 Feb 2015 4:55 pm by RoyC

Whisky Reviews for Ben Nevis 1995 MBl

7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.06 points

1. XorLophaX scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Conclusion: 90/100 points - "interesting whisky". This Ben Nevis has a very fruity-sweet nose, but unfortunately can not keep his promise. In the mouth it is mediocre and rather disappointing on the finish. Overall, but by the fantastic nose still a close 90th Otherwise, rather settle for the 85th Link to the tasting on my blog: http://www.tasting-notes.de/Archive/119
      Opulent-sweet nose full of ripe fruits. Strongly dominating is the peach with a subtle honey sweetness in the background. Very nice smell whisky.
    • Taste
      Clear spicy oak from oak. The sweet fruitiness is back, as well as the dominant peaches. Followed by a pronounced hint of chocolate and some cocoa.
      The finish is wooden, long and strong. Very warm and reminiscent of dark chocolate with at least 80% cocoa content.

2. vlad78 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Great delicious fruit whisky! So I would drink it myself, and with friends too (but only if they treated me).
      Warm, deep, sweet. Cherries, plums and prunes, dried fruits, powdered sugar on a cupcake.
    • Taste
      The taste is bright, sweet, cherry and plum. Compote. Heat.
      Bright and sweet aftertaste.

3. tribe scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

I had it in the glass a couple of years ago and it was as heavy on pineapple as any before. Now I also have pineapple with more wood. But a great whisky. Fruity round and a bit dirty. As I like it. The finish is relatively long as until now all Ben nevis was getting better with time. I expect that from this bottle as well. Somehow Bourbon gets through. I suspect that was not always in sherry. I like and is worth the money.

Now it is almost empty and longer open. Now he smells like real cocoa and coffee. The fruit is only subliminal in the nose. The taste is still full of us solid and fruity than the nose. But also cocoa must. The painting changes constantly. Very interesting

[November, 2015]  I emptied a bottle that I bought for 89 Euro in May, 2015.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 87,5.  My notes state an easy to drink dram without any highlights except a firm woodiness.

5. Noface83 scored this whisky 87 points Specialist

Beautiful whisky with opulent fruity sweetness and fine Olorso notes (slightly nutty). Violent oak and bitterness dominate the medium-long finish. Very nice contrast game but in the mouth too little (except wood) has to offer to be a top whisky.

6. SteveW110 scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

The nose is promising! Beautiful creamy Oloroso Sherry rises with the barrel in the ring !!! Somewhat annoying I feel the sulfur aromas ...
    When it comes to flavor, the strong oak note overlays almost everything ...

7. Dieter_W scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Personally, Ben Nevis is too sweet for me personally. This sticky honey sweetness is not my cup of tea.
      Sweet honey white chocolate sweet canned peach with a serving of wood
    • Taste
      Also honey again with pineapple peaches and honeydew melon
      Medium long with a strong spicy wood note