- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 15 years old
- Ex-Bourbon Casks; Sherry Butts
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 1000 ml
- New green/white design
- Added on
- 08 Feb 2015 7:35 pm by Zintrin
7 × in wishlist
82 × member ratings
256 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bowmore Mariner
8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.26 points
- Beautiful Bowmore, relatively little smoke, nice currant flavor.
- This Travel-Retail bottle was available until 2014. A good Islay Malt, who might have done 3% better!
soft smoke, fruitiness, sherry, spice, caramel;
harmonious, spicy onset with smoke, distinct sherry notes, fruity, then spice / oak;
medium to long, strong finish;
- Bowmore Mariner is a mixed voyage. It delivers on the sea salt promised with a really nice bite appreciable across the nose, taste and finish. It likewise manages to merge smoky coastal notes with some pleasant fruitiness and sweetness. But, the cruise is not plain sailing and there’s some real bitterness to navigate through before weighing anchor.
Medium in intensity combining both sweet but gentle smoke with a healthy dose of coastal air and ozone. Freshening with both citrus and stone fruits such as apricot, and with a vein of sugariness running through the whole aroma. Part briny, part forest-like with notes of ferns and pines in amongst the more overtly seaside overtones of salt and very mild iodine.
On the one hand oily and on the other, almost strangely sandy and chalky. Odd. Again the salinity is very present and is backed up with an increased presence of fruit – on the one hand fresh and ripe and on the other sour – I want to say sour cherries, but that’s too neat a fit. Sweet again, this time from toffee and caramel. There’s a fairly huge dose of cask spice here which leads to quite a bitter and astringent experience.
Medium, salty, and pleasantly astringent, but to my palate extremely bitter, jarringly so in fact.