- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Sherry Wood
- Stated Age
- 17 years old
- Fresh and Refill Sherry Butts and Hogsheads
- Number of bottles
- 52.3 % Vol.
- 700 ml 750 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 06 Feb 2015 3:07 pm
85 × in wishlist
635 × member ratings
1240 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Springbank 17-year-old
98 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.00 points
- Tasty, but not much Springbank character, much Sherryfasseinfluss. What do you want to show us? That mediocrity can be sold too expensive? We already know that ...
- Wonderfully complex Springbank, a must for Springer fans
Salt, kelp, charcoal fire, fully ripe apricots and nectarines, nicely integrated sherry notes, cherry and cranberries
Black currants, very spicy, a lot of oak, some smoke, salt, seafood
Long and full-bodied, pleasant harmony of subtle smoke and sherry sweetness
- A grand and great Springbank indeed, that does not lose its character despite the influence of the sherry cask. Recommended (despite the heave price tag).
Oh, boy, this nose is grand and great. Clearly Springbank with its typical mineral traits and soft peat, but the sherry cask easily takes the lead. All kinds of fruit like raisins, melon, red berries, mango and peach, but also blood oranges and plums. Even krieks. Leave it to breathe for a while and the typical farmy elements emerge at last.
The arrival is big, for this is a muscled malt. Spicy on pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon. The fruit still takes the lead and becomes quite dark with krieks, plums, dades and mashed banana. But the smokiness is quite grand too, making this a nice, interesting and especially tasty whisky. Midpalate it shows a bitterness as if from coffee and liquorice, while black chocolate kicks in as well.
The finish is long, spicy and a veritable contest between sweet and salt. Mildly drying towards the end. The smoke, in the meantime, lingers.
- [September, 2015] I had this dram during a FoSM club tasting.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50
- 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 85. I took no detailed notes as the whisky did not interest me.
- The noise is great, but the palate is thin and weak. A real disappointment. I disliked it so much I pawned the rest of it off to brother. His experience was not much better than mine.
- With water it smells like ginger cake and the palate has a little caramel now.
Finish is still long.
This is a really good Springbank and definitely worth buying.
Quite light on honeycomb, peach, nectarine a little custard and a few ham notes.
After a while some lovely cherry notes.
Mouth filling. waxy and meaty. Peaches like on the nose, whipped cream, yeah its peaches and custard, great stuff.
A few notes of rich moist sponge cake and a few syrup notes.
Quite long, smooth and moreish
- A well-made sherry-aged malt, but it lacks something of the distillery character. Positively formulated: An independent Springbank.
Sherry, sherry and sherry again. The nose honors the name of this Springbanks. You can already smell in the background at the beginning that there is still a lot more to discover. Once the nose has processed the sherry, summer honey shows up - full and heavy and sweet as sugar. Even the honey passes with time and gives its place for the scent of a freshly mown wildflower meadow. With the standard Springbanks such as 10-YO, 12-YO CS and 15-YO, the nose can not be compared.
The taste is initially a little soapy with a pinch of mild detergent. The first impression develops then to wild herbs and wildflowers, also the honey can be found again. Also peach and apricot are included. Salty notes are added, the sherry, which is good to taste, the Springbank saltiness mitigates.
Medium long and spicy at the end.
- a welcomed dram
Kirschen im Schokokuchenteig
eine säuerliche Note
ganz leichte Alkoholnote
leichter Schokogeschmack beim Antritt
auf der Zunge Zitronenbrause
Getreide, Staub, und Holznote
Mineral, salt, dried fruits in the distance, leather, silica
Sweet, then woody, forest fruits, a little cocoa
Pleasant heat, pepper, bitter wood notes, cocoa