- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Giovinetti & Figli import
- Stated Age
- 07 years old
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 50 ml
- Bottle code
- L4:22A:H4 09:57
- Added on
- 17 Jan 2015 1:09 pm by Armin Fuchs
one in wishlist
3 × member ratings
29 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Macallan 07-year-old
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.00 points
- N: After an unfortunately ruined ’60 10yo Macallan, heres hoping this mid 80’s 7yo miniature has faired better. Initially it smells intact with familiar notes of nutty, caramel maltiness and plenty of vanillas, Muscovado sugar, peppery apples, pumpkin seeds and peanut shells. Theres some noise to this dram with plenty of clout for its abv. It doesn’t smell particularly young either, both spirit and oak are easily readable although id give the spirit the edge.
T: Initially thinnish with sherry and blood oranges arriving first before thickening rapidly and developing on sour [fermenting] apples, tannic but sour/sweet fruits and slightly soapy spirit. The sherried and peppery spirit develops with mild, malty chocolate notes before the oak appears. It works better neat, it gets too rancid with water added although the price to be paid is some roughness to contend with.
F: The peppery zing continues with a spirity mild sweetness along with nutty punch.
C: Not great but nothing to hate. Reminds me of a relatively enjoyable but shouty Edradour. However it really shows its modest age by the end, the spirit having far too much of the limelight. Ive heard the 8yo’s were far superior.
Scores a C-
- For a tasting note look at the default version, please!
- Would be nice to know when this was bottled - not sure which version it was from a 5cl sample.
Tasting with Armin Fuchs.
Started off very nicely.
Later on for me it revealed some immaturity and so lacking in balance and roundness.