3 × in wishlist
23 × member ratings
27 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Clynelish 1997 HB
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.33 points
- classic Clynelish very waxy and dense. Rich and complex.
- Not really mine.
Lemon thyme, enormous alcohol and a lot of oak spice, heavily citrus-fruity
Burning too violently at first. With water it opens nicely and candle wax comes out.
Alcohol that is not well integrated is annoying
- Very expressive on the nose, the 54.7% vol can not be guessed. The waxy character of the distillery is very present and is accompanied by a pretty fruity that takes precedence over the wax after qques minutes (pears, juicy apples). The whole remains spring, fresh but very expressive. The following develops a touch of almond paste and the wood is pointing the tip of his nose, and a very light touch of acid that is very pleasant.
In the mouth, the alcohol is very well integrated, the fruity is here more present than the wax that remains in the background. A minty touch appears and the second part of the mouth becomes greedy with more and more almond paste and pastry notes. The whole is powerful and very greedy.
The finish is in continuity with the waxy and fruity markers and a slight woody touch and oranges.
Not the most complex of the distillery but a super bottling that delivers all that is expected of a Clynelish in cask strength. Almost a must for all fans of the distillery!
- A very intense and strong bottling with a lot of distillery character (beeswax), which is accompanied by great aromatic fruitiness. Alcohol wonderfully integrated, does not burn at all and beautifully bears the intense fruit. A must for lovers of distillery!
Very intense but no alcoholic sting. Extremely much beeswax, waxy direction for furniture, really nice! Then comes the fruitiness (pears, freshly cut apples), which harmonize wonderfully with the wax. This waxy aroma is very intense, yet the whole remains pleasantly fresh. After about 10 minutes you get a bit oak and a hint of marzipan and far away a light acid (lemon?). Wonderful
54.7% vol very well integrated, surprisingly spicy with a lot of fruit (pears, clementines and a slight touch of Ornagen). Marzipan becomes clearer and the wax accompanies the whole story. Quite round on the tongue, later you get a slight menthol and pastry note. Overall, strong and intense.
Mittellanf to long, a lot of fruit, a hint of orange and oak
- It seems difficult to find a bad Clynelish distilled in 1997. It is still a good vintage for this distillery. And this whisky is no exception: it is good, typically Clynelish, balanced, tasty and robust.
Hard not to recognize Clynelish as soon as you dip your nostrils in this whisky, as the waxy marker jumps in the nose. Bees wax (obviously ^^), and lots of fresh autumn fruits (apple, pear, and mandarin zest). Dry pollen dust develops, while wax is more discreet over time.
The fruity takes over here. Yellow apple, white grapes, and a lemon wedge. Salinity settles when whisky is allowed to turn for a moment in the mouth.
Average. A hint of salt on swallowing, while the fruit lingers slowly. A woody and fruity breeze then flutters.
- Hints of citrus and honey. A little peat, but not much. Very alcoholic finish (cask strenght)