Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Overall rating 13 votes 83.64
Blend
Hill Thomson & Co. Ltd. (HT&C)
Specially Selected Scotch Whisky

p4blo gave this whisky 83 points
Color
Old gold
Nose

Very malty with vanilla, wood and a slightly fruity side. Quite rounded, but also flat.

Taste

Sweet, rounded, tons of malt, honey, wax, white sugar and a hint of pepper.

Finish

Quite short, the sweetness continues, malt and sugar dominate.

Comments

This one does not offer much complexity so if you want to discover layers of various notes, skip it. Instead, it is an excellent drinker for a laid back evening. Would have scored 81 points, but the price tag is absolutely amazing, and this can't be ignored.

(Notes and mark for 5 cl bottle with a gold label, where the age of 15 years is clearly stated.)

addyhd
Connoisseur addyhd Note
16 Mar 2015 11:16 am
addyhd gave this whisky 84 points

As it is said by experts , this blend contains a verry large part of longmorn

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotomy.
Ras Mazunga
Super Administrator Ras Mazunga Note
15 Feb 2015 10:58 pm
Ras Mazunga gave this whisky 84 points

Tasting this from the Whiskybase Longmorn Tasting set. Must be an older bottle. Typical old style whisky with a lot of waxy notes, old furniture, varnish, honey, hints of smoke. But alos some metallic notes. It's a bit meaty too, not the freshest meat...
The taste has some camphor mixed with eucalyptus.
The nose is quite good but the taste is not so much to my liking.

Signature Picture
Zumbar
Expert Senior Zumbar Review note
12 Feb 2015 6:28 pm
Zumbar gave this whisky 84 points

I find the nose very delicate and fine, but the taste too watered down and uniform. Smooth and nice still, like a ladies whisky :)

Ray-Central-America
Member Senior Ray-Central-America Review note
10 Feb 2015 2:27 am
Ray-Central-America gave this whisky 83 points

This is turning out to be one of my "Go to" whiskeys. This sells for about ₵10,000 colones here in Costa Rica and I have to say that it is a blend that I really like. Another thing, I really liked the bottle. It is what first attracted me to the scotch.

Body - This has some pretty good "legs" spin it in the glass and you a good line in the glass.

Nose - This has a fruity, vanilla, brine, butter smell to it. I find it pleasant.

Taste - Cold.... I like to warm my whiskey up in my hands before I sip. But cold, I taste melon, brine, a slight smoke, salty butter, a hint of dried cherries.  Warm ... a hint of coffee, chocolate, that brine and smoke come through. It is smoother than "cold". Has some ok "legs" on it too.

Finish -- This is not a bad scotch, again that butter taste stays with you. There is a hint of pears and a softness. It isn't a 12 year old, but if you warm it up, it sure acts like one.

This is one of my "go to" - house / table scotchs. It is pretty good and something I would be glad to share with friends. If we go through half a bottle talking about the good times, no loss like one might be concerned about if they were drinking a good MacCallen or Bowmore single malt that you take a wee nip from time to time.

I enjoy this one a lot and is worth giving a try.

84.2
Ray-Central-America
Member Senior Ray-Central-America Review note
27 Jan 2015 10:54 pm
Ray-Central-America gave this whisky 83 points

I saw this Scotch in the store and was thinking it was just another bottle of cheap Scotch and bought it more for the sake of the bottle vs what was inside. I figured I can re-purpose the bottle.

Well I was pretty surprised when I took my first sip, it was really good and smooth too. After doing some research I found that it is said that Something Special contains a lot of the Longmorn 15 Years, maybe as much as 35%. The Distillery is currently owned by the French Pernod Ricard Group, that also owns Chivas Regal.

Something Special , a blend created in 1793, is said to age in Bourbon and Sherry Casks  which I can smell and taste some hints of sherry influences in this. Something Special with its Diamond shaped bottle was a huge success in the Seventies. Today it still flourishes in Latin American countries like Costa Rica where I live.

This is a keeper scotch for when you want a dram but not get into your more better stuff. I enjoyed two fingers worth sitting outside last night as my wife and I enjoyed the sunset.

81.7