Brora 1972 DL

Strength
23 jan 2009 8:37 pm
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky reviews for Brora 1972 DL

8 users have left 11 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 93.63 points.

1. dram-drinker scored this whisky 93 points Photo Moderator

Very good Brora, not sure if the sample was still on 100% or the bottle was probably open long time - anyhow, great!
      Peaty, smoky, iodine, seaweed, medicinal, citric, little vanilla, yellow fruits, quince, pear, porridge, little coconut - great!
    • Taste
      Punchy, oily, peaty, smoky, subtle sweetness, more citric, little fruity, more quince, little vanilla, more medicinal, salty - still great!
      Long, warm

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 11 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. SFWC scored this whisky 97 points Expert Senior

Phenomenal whisky. Not sure its better than the 22y Rare Malts bottlings though, as some have eluded to. Different, more peaty and ashy and drier on the finish but a lot of harmony here. The Rare Malts bottlings are perhaps more complex, maybe more balanced and certainly a little fruitier while being a little less bombastic on the peat but this holds court with those in my opinion, just a slightly different (drier/bladey/bitter) vibe.

4. chokolin scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

A scent with a sense of speed will boil.
    Ripe citrus pulp with a high ppm, orangette,
    Karin. Malt and fine oil lamps.
    Ashes on dead grass. Straw without sarcasm.
    Pete incense is certainly quite strong and flashy,
    Brilliant, dignified,
    There is a place that cannot be said.

When you eat it, the scent element spreads explosively,
    At the same time as it penetrates, it runs around the whole body stimulatingly.
    Sweet milky like custard cream,
    Marmalade is with the fluffy feel of pipe smoke and the texture of leather.
    The barrel feeling is not so strong and it seems that the quality of sake is respected.

The palate is gentler, more fruity and creamier than the scent.
    Is this the only Brora?
    For some reason, do you say that you are strangely convinced ...
    While drinking
    Suddenly. I have lost my strength.

From the back of Pete, you can feel the strongly baked honey toast, walnut yubeshi,
    Grapefruit peel. Malt cookie, tart with apricot compote.

The lingering sound is peachy and sweet,
    And you can feel a little earthy.
    While leaving a profound feeling, it also had surprisingly good sharpness.

Opening is 2020.11.03

Currently 2022.03

From the time of opening, when there was an explosive sense of immorality
    Currently, the scent is fruity and beautiful, and it has been completed.
    Still, the feeling of euphoria and happiness when I say it is different now.

The unique flavor of both wonderful Brora 72 may have existed earlier.
    My preference is now
    It feels like an open adult.

5. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

Just noticed IN 2015, I awarded this 97/98/95 which averages 96.66.
    In reality that should be 97, and the palate and finish average is 96.5, the nose is the least important part for me but all things considered I will bump this up to 97p.
    This then would be the only 97 point rate I have awarded, so my best whisky so far, I wonder what I would rate it now?

6. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

Farmy peat, citrus fruits, herbs, custard cream, toffee, brilliant!

7. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

This is how I rate the 1972 Brora I have tried.

1 - 1972 29 year 59.5% Douglas Laing Platinum

2 - 1972 22 year58.7% Rare Malts OB

3 - 1972 40 year 59.1% Travel Retail Exclusive

4 - 1972 1st Annual Release 30 year 56.3%

Although I gave 1 & 2 96 points the DL edges it for me.#

I have not included any 40% Connoisseurs Choice bottles.

I would put the DL Brorageddon in at 4 on this this dropping the 1st release to 5th,

8. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

9. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

WITH WATER

Nose - More lemony now with a bit of fudge.

Palate - Peat is even more evident (if that was possible) but the sweetness is not so on show now.There is also a slight cardboardy bitterness

Finish - Still long with loads of peat.

I preferred this neat and without water I thought it was outstanding. Very strong but also refined and sweet. The sweetness balanced the high peat content.
    With water I felt the peat started to overpower the profile a little, but that is being really critical.
    In summary one of the best whiskies I have had in the last 10 years.
    This is closer in profile to some of the rare malts bottlings rather than the official releases.

If I can compare this for effect, the Talisker 1981 20 year 62% OB, slaps you in the face with the strength of the alcohol but this at 59.5% the alcohol sneaks up on you because the profile is so elegent, but, it just keeps growing once its in your mouth..
    I think when Willie JJ says " a peat fire in my mouth" that just about sums this up in one line.
    It is a monster of a whisky, better than any peaty Islay I have had and probably the best Brora I have had.

I did not plan on writing long notes but it was that good.

(sample)
      Strong crisp peat, lemon, menthol, brine and a big dose of creosote, in fact this could be creosote and nothing else by the smell.
      After a while in the glass it gets even peatier.

• Taste
      The peat is strong but refined and there is a mouth coating creaminess, it is also much sweeter than I expected.
      Did I say refined, because now after a short while my mouth and tongue are going numb with the strength of the peat?
      Tastewise I get sweet cream, honey, tar, lemon and something biscuity.
      Very, very long on sweet peat.

10. corbuso scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

As written by Willie, the peat is impressive in this whisky, like drinking liquid peat smoke. I loved this one.

11. Willie JJ scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

One of the heaviest peating levels I can remember in a Brora. A peat-freaks dream.
      Bung cloth and rice pudding, cocoa, citrus but its submerged in the
      creosote. No shortage of peat here. Earth, hemp and iodine. Simply
      massive.
    • Taste
      Someone has set a peat fire in my mouth. The peating level here is huge. There is barley there but it is smouldering.
      Glowing embers that linger for ages, before fading to ash. When the fire fades the barley returns.

12. EL34 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Junior