Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Brora 1972 DL

Strength
23 Jan 2009 8:37 pm
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Brora 1972 DL

6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.86 points

1. Willie JJ scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

One of the heaviest peating levels I can remember in a Brora. A peat-freaks dream.
      Bung cloth and rice pudding, cocoa, citrus but its submerged in the
      creosote. No shortage of peat here. Earth, hemp and iodine. Simply
      massive.
    • Taste
      Someone has set a peat fire in my mouth. The peating level here is huge. There is barley there but it is smouldering.
      Glowing embers that linger for ages, before fading to ash. When the fire fades the barley returns.

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

This is how I rate the 1972 Brora I have tried.

1 - 1972 29 year 59.5% Douglas Laing Platinum

2 - 1972 22 year58.7% Rare Malts OB

3 - 1972 40 year 59.1% Travel Retail Exclusive

4 - 1972 1st Annual Release 30 year 56.3%

Although I gave 1 & 2 96 points the DL edges it for me.#

I have not included any 40% Connoisseurs Choice bottles.

I would put the DL Brorageddon in at 4 on this this dropping the 1st release to 5th,

3. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

4. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

WITH WATER

Nose - More lemony now with a bit of fudge.

Palate - Peat is even more evident (if that was possible) but the sweetness is not so on show now.There is also a slight cardboardy bitterness

Finish - Still long with loads of peat.

I preferred this neat and without water I thought it was outstanding. Very strong but also refined and sweet. The sweetness balanced the high peat content.
    With water I felt the peat started to overpower the profile a little, but that is being really critical.
    In summary one of the best whiskies I have had in the last 10 years.
    This is closer in profile to some of the rare malts bottlings rather than the official releases.

If I can compare this for effect, the Talisker 1981 20 year 62% OB, slaps you in the face with the strength of the alcohol but this at 59.5% the alcohol sneaks up on you because the profile is so elegent, but, it just keeps growing once its in your mouth..
    I think when Willie JJ says " a peat fire in my mouth" that just about sums this up in one line.
    It is a monster of a whisky, better than any peaty Islay I have had and probably the best Brora I have had.

I did not plan on writing long notes but it was that good.

(sample)
      Strong crisp peat, lemon, menthol, brine and a big dose of creosote, in fact this could be creosote and nothing else by the smell.
      After a while in the glass it gets even peatier.

• Taste
      The peat is strong but refined and there is a mouth coating creaminess, it is also much sweeter than I expected.
      Did I say refined, because now after a short while my mouth and tongue are going numb with the strength of the peat?
      Tastewise I get sweet cream, honey, tar, lemon and something biscuity.
      Very, very long on sweet peat.

5. corbuso scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

As written by Willie, the peat is impressive in this whisky, like drinking liquid peat smoke. I loved this one.

6. EL34 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Junior