19 × in wishlist
186 × member ratings
466 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Caol Ila 2002
27 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.93 points
- The usual problem of all Distillers Editions: a few percentage points more alcohol would do them good and bring more aromas to light, unfortunately somewhat one-dimensional
Smoked apple juice, calvados, smoked ham, sweet wine, grape juice, gooseberry
More smoke than suspected in the nose, quite sweet by the Nachreifung in Muskatwein, light white wine notes
The smoke remains on the palate for a very long time
- - a CAOL ILA that you can enjoy very well
- significantly better than the normal 12 y.
- original price still ok (approx. 50 €)
very aromatic smoke, sweetish fruit notes, toffee, fudge
Mild but very intense smoky start, here you have to like smoky whiskys very much, significantly more smoke in the taste than in the smell, then spice, dry fruit aromas (towards dry sherry / dry red wine), subtle sweetness follows the dry first impression
medium smoky-sweet finish;
longer smoky reverberation
- Superficially maritime in the nose, like a sea breeze, almost fishy. In the background unobtrusive campfire smoke with aromas of bacon. Behind it a subtle sweet fruitiness and chocolate. After a while also marzipan ????
Slightly salty and ashy in the mouth with fruity hints. It is wonderfully soft and sweet.
Immediately cold ash in the finish, as if one had licked through an ashtray. Behind it, light coffee bitterness and a touch of salt. Plus wood and chocolate.
Nicely balanced between chocolate and smoke. Great part and great PLV. Together with the Talisker and Lagavulin, it is one of the best in the range, but is on the bright, sweet side in comparison.
- Room temperature when drinking: 18 ℃
Viewing Eyes: Gold
Smell Nose: Smoked salmon, shells, algae, seaweed, vanilla, green grape juice slightly acidic, green leafy vegetables, coconut water, mint mouthwash, dehydrated grapes, the oily feel is slightly sticky, like a block frozen Butter and fat, soothing smell
Taste Palate: low sweetness, crispy whistle, cream, green apple juice, fragrant pear, green grass, earth, vanilla ice cream, grass ash, alkali, milky fragrance with figs, full of fat, silky at the moment
Finishing: medium and short, sweet, pear, herbs, a little sea salt, charred wood, milk
Body: Medium, supple and smooth, no tannins, almost no bitter bottom
Overall: 87.5 / 100
Overall: The finishing touch is a bit rushed, the suppleness is very high, really like silk, the experience is excellent. Not too complicated but pleasant, personally feel that the peat smell is not too heavy
Immediately smoke, more ashy from the bottle, a little warmer from the glass, honey and cereals, smoked fish (oh, did I already recognize it?), Overripe banana, a little bit of cinnamon and a little bit of maritime
Oha is much stronger than expected, cereals, almost bread-like, a hint of honey, lemon, pepper, chilli, some ash out the back
- Nose: Much peat, salt, then gets a note like smoked haggis. Very earthy peat. In the background a nice sweetness. Mouth: quite dry, peaty, strong, stronger, than I expected. Add a little oak, menthol and pepper. Finish: Departure is quite strong, peaty, a few tart notes, menthol and tends to be dry.
- Balance (21)
Not very bad, oily and bold (86)
Citrus, ash, peat, grass ... cherry, prune (21.5)
Sweet, fruity, oily ... iodine and salt (22)
Fruit, fat, pepper and salt, iodine and smoked prunes (21.5)