88.86/100
Strength
5021944086122
04 Oct 2014 2:57 pm by Erik Elixir

Whisky Reviews for Longmorn 1996 vW

27 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.86 points

1. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

I’ve had it’s sister before (cask 52033). Somehow these bottlings are insanely popular and go for 3 times the original value... Although this is absolutely high quality stuff (both casks), I tend to like the more subtle whiskies better. I’m very curious if this cask will suit more the the other one I had. From time to time I run into bottlings that are very heavy matured but still seem to suit me very well. This one absolutely does. By far my favorite if I had to choose between the two.
      It immediately gets to me that this one is different material for me. It gives me more from the other side of sherry matured whisky. This is less concentrated on sweet red fruits (it’s there but less dominant) and more about spices, tobacco, nuttiness and wood. It’s thick and more dark. Also a whiff of sourness. I get dried leaf, tobacco, dark chocolate, figs, raisins, almonds, nutmeg, black pepper, leather and an oak-drained in sherry note. There is a chalky note to it. This is a very intense and harmonious maturation. Dark flavors all the way. Even at CS this is very well drinkable and never gets restless. It keeps evolving inside the glass. More herbs reveal after 30 minutes or so.
    • Taste
      On the palate it’s syrupy, sweet and just a wee sourness. On the palate more fruit comes through giving berries, peach and mango. Also espresso and milk chocolate. The tobacco is less present, if it even is at all. It’s quite a delight that different things seem to happen on the palate. It gives this whisky a very lively experience with more then enough change to keep being focused!
      Finish is obviously very long! Eat, drink, chew whatever you want...after a while this whisky will return, pleasing your receptors all over again. Wood plays a bigger part in the finish. At first I get a bit more dry tannines and old whisky matured oak flavors. After this tobacco comes back in again. Mid finish it gets rather spiced/herbal which I find very pleasant! After that red berries and again peach.This finish keeps developing and continuing. Most modern ‘Gensherries’ can only dream of being this good. It is proven to me again that the best whiskies primarily need enough time in good quality casks. What a stunner this is!

2. JNuyts scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

3. P.A.O.K.you_are scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

4. whiskyd scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

5. Erik1908 scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Great whisky of which I tasted a sample. As I do not exactly know the price I rated it at 87. Normally I rate van Wees bottlings at 85. But I "upgraded" it in order to avoid the impact on the total score.

6. mr.p9 scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

7. OKoster scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

In my opinion casknr. 72323 and 105092 are the best of all Ultimate Longmorns.

I love all Longmorn Whiskys from The Ultimate. I myself have 1 to 3 bottles of each cask and there are 8 different barrels. The Cask Strength Longmorn and Tamdhu are so far one of my favorites!

8. AR71 scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

9. AR71 scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

This whisky is nothing you should try if only Caol Ila and Laphroig make you happy. For all others this is such a deep, flavoured and great Whisky, that trying it should be on everybody's wish list. I would prefer it above every Macallan I have tried so far. A truly great whisky.
      Sweet dried fruit and chocolate, nuts or almond, orange. With water same sharp tingling, but only in the background.
    • Taste
      A huge bandwidth of flavours, all in the raisin, orange area. With water more fruit comes out.
      Long, sweet and fruity

10. p4blo scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

A great, promising nose, but the pleasure mostly stops there. It was a high time to bottle this one.
      This one is loaded with dark fruits, all kind of berries, prunes. There is a slight mineral edge with chalk, rust, metal, and some nice lighter fruits, mostly on peach and mango. Great, bold, straightforward and complex nose.
    • Taste
      A bit too sharp without water, the age and alcohol do shine through a bit. Chilli, pepper, ginger. The sweetness is there too but it's largely masked by the sensation of burning and bitterness.
      Quite hot with the reminiscent sweetness, but the bitterness and spiciness are a bit too pronounced.