- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Cask
- Stated Age
- 11 years old
- Pedro Ximénez Sherry Puncheon
- Number of bottles
- 51.4 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- 2014/10/30 17:51 LH71375
- Bottled for
- Mitra Slijterijen - The Netherlands
- Added on
- 23 Sep 2014 7:19 pm by Erik Elixir
one in wishlist
29 × member ratings
64 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glendronach 2003
13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.44 points
- A good single cask, well balanced without the (sometimes) too big kick of the PX barrel. almetal a nice drink.
- Less outspoken, more subtle notes. For some reason only 51,4% abv after 11 years so not sure if this one was somewhat special/different then normal as you would expect 55-59% after 11 years like the other single casks.
Still interesting enough and well balanced.
Score = 86/100
Apple-raisin crumble with some spicy notes. Some earthy notes with oak as well. You can recognise the PX casks but they are not as dominant and slightly less sweet then normal.
Sweet (dried fruits, caramel) and spicy (pepper, cinnamon maybe) attack. Hints of dark chocolate. Water adds some creaminess to it but tames down the spice a bit too much.
Medium length finish. Finishing medium dry with some caramel/toffee sweetness in the end.
- Not too many PX influences in this one. I wonder what kind of casks they used. Nevertheless, the whisky is good.
Perfumed and fruity, on tinned fruits and to a lesser extent dried fruits (as you would expect from PX). I also detect some vanilla (!) and honeyed cereals.
Much of the same, with additionaly some dark chocolate.
The finish is moderately long, dominated by the tinned peaches.
- Young PX Glendronach single casks usually give lot's of dark sherry notes both dry and fruity. This one is by far more based on the original distillery character. More creamy, nuts and honey with some sour apples. Not a bad one, but in comparison with other PX single casks this one is neither cheap or a taste sensation.
- Another good Glendronach single cask. Not that mutch PX influence on this one.
Fudge, fruity, spices - pepper, cloves and paprika. Nutty and syrup from the PX cask.
Spices, chocolate and citrus fruits - grape fruits. Creamy fruits - exotic fruits, honey and orange. A toch of smoke, is it wood smoke?
Medium drying with fudge, some raisins and fruity. Black currant and grenadine.
- This a good whisky, not a sherry bomb. I enjoyed this one very much.
Vanilla, raisins, honey, pears, some red fruits, lime and with water nuts and fudge.
Pears, milk chocolate, hint of pepper, candied fruits and with water I get caramel and honey.
Long,milky, little spice
- Blind tasting of a sample from Erik. The sherry cask has had a less powerful influence on this one than in most other sherried GlenDronachs (e.g. compared to the 2003 for The Old Pipe), so the character of the spirit shines through a bit more.
Initially vanilla, pepper, lime and pear. Only in second instance the influence of the sherry cask takes over: Hazelnut, caramel, light caster sugar, raspberry and whipped cream. Gets
creamier over time. With water it goes in the other direction:
Caramel, raspberry, candied cherry, pepper and pear. Also in the taste some grapefruit comes through when adding water.
Milk chocolate, toffee and raspberry.