28 × in wishlist
128 × member ratings
418 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for The Lost Blend Blended Malt Scotch Whisky CB
27 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.42 points
- Jim Murray has awarded 95.5 points to the Lost Blend and was 2016 Scotch Vatted Malt of the Year.
- This Compass Box - The Lost Blend is comprised of 22% Caol Ila from 11 to 15 years of age, 70% Clynelish from 17 to 24 years of age, and 8% Allt-a-Bhainne from 20 years of age.
- Real tasty stuff. It’s pretty damn close to Eleuthera, like 90% of the way there. This one does have more vanilla and tropical fruit going on, which I’m going to chalk up to the first-fill hogsheads of Allt-A-Bhainne. I do prefer the Eleuthera, though. The finish on this one isn’t as nice and the peat doesn’t have quite the same depth.
Nose: There’s a distinct bright fruity note up top with Clynelish herbs/wax and Caol Ila smoke underneath. Saltine crackers, honey, herbs and wax. The fruit is very ripe, maybe some banana, yellow plum, peach, pear, and lemon. Quite perfumed, too. A little bit of cured-meat funk.
Some water brings out the Caol Ila: spice and smoke, with more of a coastal note.
Palate: Arrives with a floral waxiness, honey, and tropical fruit. The sweetness spreads out into spicy, grassy, meaty smoke. More of a dessert-y vanilla in the middle, with the smoke around the sides. Like Eleuthera, this one’s smokier on the palate than you’d expect from the nose. Some black pepper spice along with some of that paprika-y cured meat. Grass and mint intertwined with the smoke.
Water adds chocolate-covered macadamia nuts and even more black pepper spice.
Finish: More of a toffee-and-chocolate thing going on now. Apple pie burnt slightly in the oven. Salted plantain chips and pineapple. Vanilla and a little bit of mint.
- Very enjoyable with decent amounts of smoke, wax, and fruit.
- A simple whisky, not very complex, no depth.
more full bodied peatyness then before.
- This is the bottle that got me interested in Caol Ila ...
- Okay but expensive;
Cold ash, smoke / peat, lemon, sour green apples;
Much softer than the nose can expect, lemon, green apples, cold ash, leather and salt! A good dose of smoke!
Smoky, spicy, rather short or at best medium long;