Springbank 10-year-old

86.80/100
Beige label with brown and black border
Strength
12 Sep 2014 7:19 am by duerer79

Whisky Reviews for Springbank 10-year-old

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.80 points

1. nallacam scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

Very fine standard from a bygone era.
    Even if the nose is a little restrained, the punch in the mouth comes even more.
    Interesting how many older bottlings can develop an incredible amount of strength even with "only" 46%.
    He's got the good old school springbank funk and after a while in the glass we get better and better. An initial mustiness disappears over time.

2. mr_barleycorn scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Typical spring bench.
    Slightly metallic on the nose, slightly smoky and rugged, but at the same time sweet and peculiar. That's because the sweetness reminds me of sugar snap peas and raw peas. Some autumn leaves and rhubarb, what a crazy combination. Pretty cool.

Then full on the palate and surprisingly oily and fat for 10 years. Pleasantly sweet and slightly bitter with well-dosed wood felling. Some black pepper and green tea play a role.

Medium long finish. The malt continues to tingle on the tongue, what remains is a sweet and bitter combination of walnut shells and cane sugar.

3. Palindrome scored this whisky 30 points Expert Senior

This one has a soapy note. I got it at auction so I can only assume the owner had a few and knew they were weird. Even with the soap, it's still pretty good. I'm being taken back in time to the old springbanks that I used to love, and which I still do love. The nose is weak but compelling just for nostalgia. I like the old higher ABV springers better. I used to have a ton of them. Gone now. The palate is not really worth writing up. It's just okay with the soap. The finish is nice. It's not like whisky today, that's the interesting part. There really is a difference. I think the barley was better back then. It's just more compelling and there is less peat than today, overall. I like the peat but this is pretty good. There's some leather and that old skool springer note of industrial lubricant (Vaseline aka paraffin). A bit like the local barley 16 except weaker and with less vanilla. I was living in Seattle during this era. I never saw these Springers in the bars, which was a shame. I had to buy them at specialty liquor stores. You couldn't really mail order back then very well, or I didn't know how. It's got that 70's style funk that other whiskies had earlier than this one. Even in the early 2000's, it tasted older, comparatively speaking. I think that's due to the barley that was sourced and the in house malting floor. Anyway, I don't like the soap but i'm still going to drink this bottle. I hope I don't end up farting bubbles, ha.

4. WhiskyCasual scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Brackish water, lemon, pepper, and even some ash.

5. Titan2015 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior