- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Cuatro Series - Pedro Ximénez Sherry
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- 3 Years Pedro Ximénez Sherry Casks Finish
- Number of bottles
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 06 Sep 2014 9:59 am by GLEN MAUR
6 × in wishlist
88 × member ratings
204 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Tomatin 2002
16 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.26 points
- Without water I guess it's a Palo Cortado, perhaps because the vivid acids and spices.
Sherry, citruses, spicy oak, honey, caramel and fruits.
Powerful and spicy. Oak, citruses, orange peel, pepper, sherry and dried fruits.
Medium length, spicy, bittersweet.
- Tasting Notes:
- A nice tomato. The finish is clearly noticeable, but has not strangled the malt. Woody aromas and citrus fruit blend well with the sweetness of the sherry.
thick creamy sherry and a light alcoholic tingling (which disappears quickly) in the first nose, clear plum compote, sweetened orange, very sweet, typical PX, caramel, raisins, oatmeal, some honey, now adds some sweet wood to it and discreet in the Background roasted aromas. In the second nose clear cane sugar and molasses.
vigorous spicy start, a little oak, tingling, then it is creamier and sweeter but also clear citrus notes stand out, orange peel, figs to the end again peppery-spicy
The finish is initially dominated by orange, in addition to soft chocolate, coffee, a little oak bitterness, slightly bitter raisins, becoming drier, very subtle plum, spicy wood, medium long.
- A fine tomato with a 3-year PX-Finsh. The typical PX aroma is recognizable and has given the tomato a wonderful sherry aroma. I like it very much!
Subtle sherry aroma is intensified, raisins and plums are noticeable. Sweet caramel and toffee turns into cane sugar or burnt sugar. A light orange note mixes with fine spicy oak tones. Slowly, the alcohol is noticeable, citrus fruits mix with milk chocolate. The nose becomes fresher but retains its wonderful sweetness.
The first sip is dominated by a wooden freshness which then turns into pleasant sharpness. Oily and tough, the tomato flows over the tongue, spicy wood tones mix with sweet vanilla and plums. Spicy, the taste exudes its peppery pungency and leaves a slight orange and nut notes.
The taste still exudes its spicy, pungent aroma. Slowly a certain dryness sets in, the dark berries such as raisins and date are noticeable again. The finish is medium lasting and this pleasantly spicy and spicy aroma remains in the memory.
- Nose: vanilla fudge, dried figs and plums, molasses, slightly nutty and some licorice, behind it the spicy fruit of the distillery character
Taste: nice deep sweetness, plum jam, figs, a little vanilla and wood
Finish: medium to short, quite dry, plum and spicy wood
overall a little flat, but good balance - 82 points
- Pedro Ximenez sherry is a thick syrupy dessert wine. The grapes are either dried in the sun or picked very late so they contain more sugars. Most of the production takes place in Montilla-Moriles, outside Jerez, but maturation takes place in the Jerez region, thus allowing the nomination of sherry.
How did this PX finished whisky compare to the previous whiskies?
Read the full review on my blog: http://tastydram.blogspot.be/2015/05/tomatin-cuatro-pedro-ximenez.html
- The new line called Cuatro Series was created in Tomarin by burning 15.1.2002 distillate, storing it for 9 years in bourbon barrels, and then for the next three years the whisky had to be matured in four types of sherry: Fino, Manzanilla, Oloroso and Pedro Ximinez. So I was glad to see this series appear at the Whisky Festival 2015. It would be worthwhile to taste all kinds and assess the influence of the different types of sherry, but I chose to taste only my favorite PX, I can not do everything, maybe sometime the next time. My first tasting Tomatin at all, and I got a great jerk right now, this is just a wonderful saddle for me. I want the whole bottle.
Raisins, a noticeable touch of sweet sherry. The aroma is appealing, fresh, to peppermint, walnut background. (88 b)
Delicious sherry flavor, sweet and dry at the same time, honey, toast. Spicy sponge. Very juicy. (88 b)